Umm.. Muay Thai

Posted by: Psycho

Umm.. Muay Thai - 09/25/05 10:55 PM

Don't know if this is where i should post this but theres no cat.

is there any decent vids i can download to learn some Muay Thai moves ? like Muay Thai teaching or anything?
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Umm.. Muay Thai - 09/26/05 01:07 AM

The best you can do is try to find an MT school. Trying to earn any martial art without proper instruction is not advisable.
Posted by: Marz

Re: Umm.. Muay Thai - 09/26/05 01:19 AM

Yes!!!! Find an instructor in your area!
Posted by: Taison

Re: Umm.. Muay Thai - 09/26/05 04:59 AM

If people could dl videos or read about MT and become proficient in it, well, what's the use of schools/dojo/dojand/kwoons?

It is alright to use texts and videos to learn new technique but if you lack good basics, you'll find yourself hurting yourself more than your opponent. Now what I mean by basics? Well, if you have good judo basics you may aqcuire some BJJ techniques to improve your arsenal. Now if you have say, Karate techniques and try to aqcuire some Aikido techniques without knowing any Aikido basics, you'll probably be standing there and thinking "WTF? Why isn't it working"?

The thing is, if you don't have any or little experience in martial arts, resort to a qualified instructor. And by basics I don't mean yellow to green belt in any style, I mean you at least need a black belt [1st Dan] or something equallent. Remember, 1st dan means that you have mastered the basics.

To aqcuire different techniques you need some similarities in your basic art and the aqcuired techniques. This means that it is easy to transfer techniques between say, Judo and BJJ cuz of their similarities. Same things goes with Karate and TKD, Boxing and MT, Gung-Fu and various arts such as Hapkido, and KM is able to incorporate all techniques possible, I believe. I don't want to go into the details, or I'll be rambling until tomorrow, but by now I think you may understand what I'm trying to say.

The first step I advice you is to find a qualified instructor in some trustworthy style, no "black belt in his own style" type of teacher. Second, train hard and focus. Thirdly, don't forget to aqcuire goals, such as "what suits me the most? What areas am I strong in?"

I hope I was helpfull

-Taison out

ps. . My first post on the TKD topic, so a big HI! to all TKD men and women out there!
Posted by: robot_mantis

Re: Umm.. Muay Thai - 10/06/05 05:21 AM

Watch Ong Bak: Thai Warrior. It's like 18 bucks at Best Buy
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Umm.. Muay Thai - 10/06/05 10:40 AM

Quote:

Watch Ong Bak: Thai Warrior. It's like 18 bucks at Best Buy

ONG BAK IS A MOVIE!!!!! GET IT? A MOVIE!!!! IT'S NOT REAL!!!! GET REAL, PROFESSIONAL TRAINING, DO NOT EVER TRAIN FROM WATCHING A MOVIE

I have to go hit something now...
Posted by: theTKDman

Re: Umm.. Muay Thai - 10/06/05 06:48 PM

I believe he was kidding about the Ong Bak thing. If it was serious then I totally agree with you. Pretty sure it was a joke though . Thats like trying to learn kickboxing from the Van Damme movie kickboxer... LOL. Not the best of ideas. No substitute for training under an instructor.
Posted by: robot_mantis

Re: Umm.. Muay Thai - 10/07/05 04:15 AM

I though every muay thai dude trained to jump off a car and knee some dude on a motorcycle in the head

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/ong_bak-tlr.html/

The best is at the end of the clip when a guy is getting out of his truck and TOny does a flying knee into the opening door and the dude flies out the passenger side.

This must be the real muay thai!!