pelvis tilting

Posted by: zapper

pelvis tilting - 09/13/05 10:58 PM

what does it mean to tilt your pelvis forward when doing a side split?
Posted by: butterfly

Re: pelvis tilting - 09/13/05 11:56 PM

I am unsure of what you mean during a side split, but if you take the description and apply it to a side kick you are basically dividing the energy of the kick with an improper angle.

If you were to do a side kick, the alignment should be in a direct line from heel of supporting leg, to shoulder, to hip, and finally to heel of kicking foot.

If you tilt the hip forward to accomodate the kick, your alignment is off and thus less power is focused int the kick but distributed to the forward tilt of the hip.

This generally means that you still lack flexibility and are compensating for the stretch of the leg by moving the hip, and thus the torso, forward.

I am unsure if this is what you are sort of describing, but hope it helps.

-B
Posted by: Supremor

Re: pelvis tilting - 09/14/05 03:06 AM

I think you are referring to the advice given by many MAists lke Thomas Kurz when they advise that you tilt the pelvis forward when doing a side split, commonly known as a Chinese Split.

I think it does help when stretching in the side split, indeed I think it is probably a bit risky to do a side split without tilting the pelvis, because you start to overstretch the ligaments and tendons in the hips.

Basically, if you want to tilt your pelvis forward, you have to keep you back straight while pushing the hips back slightly so that your back leans forward. The back should not arch, if it does so then you are doing it wrong. You should however feel able to stretch a bit further with your pelvis tilted.

Hope that helps...