punching bags

Posted by: AkhilleusWeeps

punching bags - 09/02/05 07:49 PM

I'm kind of interested in TKD and was wondering how often you guys use punching bags and such? Do you guys use them bare fisted? I woulnd't mind using one except public bags are, from what I understand, a bit of a health hazard.
Posted by: StormDOA

Re: punching bags - 09/02/05 09:31 PM

I have a 90 pound bag that i use often (every day), you have to be careful because of joint compression, especially using a heavy sandbag as opposed to a wave bag. I wrap my fis, but an ace bandage would work as well as an actual wrap. I think it is really helpful, certainly it should not be the only target you use, just like a makiwara or a kunga, they can damage you if you are not careful. But they are great for conditioning and power in both picks and punches, a double end or headache ball is excellent as well. And nothing beats a swinging heavy bag for a sidekick target.Paddles are good for accuracy, but do nort work on your penetration or stick very much.
You have to careful though, and do not use any of the more circluar back kicks like, back hook, back roundhouse or wheel kick or back crescent.
Overall though a great training tool.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: punching bags - 09/03/05 06:14 AM

As StormDOA says, the bag is an essential tool to building power to your techniques as well as getting you used to hitting actual targets. They are, of course, not the only tool you should be using. I suggest working on your kicks in air for a few minutes before moving on to the heavy bag, this will help you check that your technique is good, before you do yourself an injury.

I have heard of people using them bare-fisted, however I do not think this is neccessary or even advisable. It may condition your hands slightly, but from what I've heard, it's more likely to give you an injury in the wrist joint. I would use either handwraps, or light leather gloves- not of the boxing variety, but of the fingerless kind, if you know what I mean. You may also want to wear ankle supports on your feet, but I don't think it will make a huge difference either way.

Just remember to treat the bag with respect, and you won't get hurt. If you hurt yourself while using the bag- stop immediatly, and wait for a day till the pain is gone.

Apart from that- good luck:)
Posted by: MattJ

Re: punching bags - 09/03/05 08:58 AM

Storm -

?????????????

Are you saying not to do back-circular kicks on the heavy bag? I do them all the time, with great effect. Can you clarify?

Quote by Supremor -

Quote:

I have heard of people using them bare-fisted, however I do not think this is neccessary or even advisable. It may condition your hands slightly, but from what I've heard, it's more likely to give you an injury in the wrist joint. I would use either handwraps, or light leather gloves- not of the boxing variety, but of the fingerless kind, if you know what I mean. You may also want to wear ankle supports on your feet, but I don't think it will make a huge difference either way

I think heavy bag training is absolutely essential. You MUST know what it is to strike something full-force. I personally fall into the "bare-knuckle" camp of HB training, with the caveat that you must work up to it!

Just going pell-mell on the bag without being used to it is a direct journey to injury as Supremor said. At more advanced levels, I feel that you do need to be able to throw strikes without wraps and gloves. In a real confrontation, you will not have the aid of supports, etc, to help your poor wrist aligmnment when striking.

If you can hit a bag unsupported and without gloves and not hurt yourself, you will be much better off in a real confrontation, as you will already be used to it.

My 2% dollar.
Posted by: matxtx

Re: punching bags - 09/03/05 08:59 AM

very usefull.like its been said ,for power.
i use them to get my pattern(kata) techniques too....doing the full technique of moves out of patterns on the bag because personally hitting air sometimes im not sure im getting power or tenstion at the right time etc..........it makes a difference in how it feels .then i can abbreviate the techniques for reality...again on the bag so i can work on power.
blocks too ...i swing the bag then try to block it......clinch it too knee into....imagination is the only limitation.................lol lol
Posted by: StormDOA

Re: punching bags - 09/03/05 09:29 AM

I a msaying that a kick that is circular and depends on follow through, like a reverse or back roundhouse, sometimes called a spinning heel or wheel kick is unhealthy on your joints, it is too much force that is focused on a single joint. Those kicks are very powerful but they are also very much centered on your knee and your hip. I wish I could explai nit with words better, but cannot. Let me say that I do not do them on the heavy bag for full impact. All of my side kicks and roundhouses work really well on the bag but the above mentioned kicks, especially a back axe or crescent are not meant to have the dead stop that occurs on a 90 pound bag. Hopefully that helps.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: punching bags - 09/03/05 10:06 AM

Quote by StormDOA -

Quote:

especially a back axe or crescent are not meant to have the dead stop that occurs on a 90 pound bag. Hopefully that helps.

I would agree that I have not been able to find a meaningful way to practice axe kicks on a heavy bag.

But hook kicks, wheel kicks and crescents are all possible to practice on the bag - spinning or not. They are not injurious to the joints with proper technique. I never do those kinds of kicks (or any kind of strike, for that matter) with full, rigid joint extension. That WILL cause damage.

Hyperextension is more likely on circular kicks, IMO, but with proper technique, the chance is minimal.
Posted by: AkhilleusWeeps

Re: punching bags - 09/03/05 10:36 AM

Thanks for the replies fellas, I guess I should wear those small leather gloves. I know the bags will be necessary but my main concern was blood on'em, I remember see'ing blood on one at some gym I was at. Really unhygenic, especially after reading the article here on the website about hep a/b/c and HIV. Again thank you for your openions and advice =]
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: punching bags - 09/05/05 05:35 AM

Yeah keep gloves on. Blood on a bag means you've damaged your hands/feet which is not a good thing in the long run.

Other than that, bag work is probably the best way to train without a partner. Although training with one is always better.