What is the effect of jogging?

Posted by: ETHEREALXFIGHTER

What is the effect of jogging? - 08/25/05 03:35 AM

Hi everybody, it's been a long time since i last asked a queston here but can anybody please tell me the effects of jogging?

Except for the fact that it helps improve your stamina, is there any other benefits, for example, speed, power in your kicks?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot

and Is it good to put weights while you jog?
Posted by: Supremor

Re: What is the effect of jogging? - 08/25/05 07:15 AM

Quote:

Except for the fact that it helps improve your stamina, is there any other benefits, for example, speed, power in your kicks?

It is not great for building power in your legs, or strength for that matter. Sprints are quite good for power, but to be honest, the best way to get good kicks is to do exercises that resemble the kicking action.

Quote:

and Is it good to put weights while you jog?

No it is not a good idea- definitely something to stay away from. By putting weights on you, you will increase the intensity- however this will just make you run slower, decreasing the intensity. It is just as effective, from a training point of view to run without weights, indeed expect there are a great many more risks if you use weights.

IMO running is not the best way to get cardiovascular fitness for MAs- jumping rope is just as good, since it is more similar to the sparring environment. As well as this there are inherent risks to running- particularly road running which can seriously damage your cartilage protected joints. If you do some off-road running, then fine- I just think you're better off getting a skipping rope.

Re: What is the effect of jogging? - 08/25/05 07:52 AM

Hmm, thanks. If that's so, should i train less on jogging? or is there still other unmentioned benefits?

Does squats impoves the power and speed of the kicks then? it does train the knee right?

Btw, I feel that practicing TKD changes my walking patern in some way, sometimes i moved differently, is this normal?

Thanks a lot
Posted by: StormDOA

Re: What is the effect of jogging? - 08/25/05 11:24 AM

Really the best way to improve your speed and power is thru (as was stated earliar) do exercises as close to the motion of kicking as possible, i.e. kicking. But if you are just looking for an exercise that will help kicking and build cardio and endurance, try jumping rope (again a good earliar suggestion) or mabe fast biking. But overall squats will build muscle and muscle strength but it will not not build the synergistic motions of kicking very well and could even slow you down in that respect, due to muscle proportions. And whatever you do do not use leg weights for your high impact kicking as it disproportionatley strains the joints (knee and hip).
I myself like running as an overall builder of endurance and cardio, but it will not do much for your kicking.
I also suggest increasing your stretching, which will eliminate more muscle resistance and increase your speed and power.
Overall, kick more.

Re: What is the effect of jogging? - 08/25/05 11:32 AM

Quote:

Does squats impoves the power and speed of the kicks then? it does train the knee right?

Squats train a lot of muscles in the legs and back- but not the knee. The knee is a joint, not a muscle.

The benefits of running are improved cardiovascular and muscular endurance, and improved running- that's it.

Re: What is the effect of jogging? - 08/25/05 12:06 PM

Thanks a lot, looks like i gotta start skipping. THank you all
Posted by: schanne

Re: What is the effect of jogging? - 08/26/05 08:34 AM

If your going to compete or be taken seriously as a fighter you better start jogging. I'm sure if your already in MA you have checked with your doctor, "I hate that expression" does a person have to tell their doctor every dam thing that relate to sports or doing a sit up! Anyway you can have the best techinque and been training for years but if your stamina is poor nothing works correctly, you become week, your will to continue fades quickly and you will look like an idiot after the first round. Jogging is part of any good athletes training program.run! Oopps just about forgot, the weight thing IMHO is waste of time. Also found if you get bored of running grab a mountain bike or ten speed and go on a few 10 mile trips instead, it really breaks up the bordom of running. I don't compete any longer but still keep a bike at work, many time I will jump on it at lunch and take off for an hour instead of eating that big old hoagie.
Posted by: glad2bhere

Re: What is the effect of jogging? - 08/26/05 10:29 AM

This is coming from someone who absolutely HATES running so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I have found that jogging is only good if done in conjunction with some other activity. What I mean is that in my younger days I would go to the local track and after a couple of laps sprint the straights and jog the curves. Or maybe I would be doing some leg work in the weightroom and would step out for a couple of laps to smooth things down.

I think the biggest danger about jogging is not so much the activity itself but the fact that it is not done well by most people. Jogging is NOT the same as running since there is greater up and down movement in jogging. People put on running shoes and then start out at a true jog and try to transition into a steady run. When they don't make it, or make it infrequently the running shoes are not designed to take the added up-and-down pounding. Neither are your knees and ankles for that matter. Furthermore, like running, jogging needs to be done regularly. Infrequent jogging does not allow for adaption of the body to the activity so that it usually creates more problems than it solves. Committ to it, or leave it alone (not a bad adage for MA in general, yes?).
Finally DON'T use jogging to solve a problem (knee ache? ankle or foot pain?)or "heal" an injury. You'll only make it worse. If you are injured start with walking and move to power-walking time trials. You get the same cardio workout and less repetitive impact trauma to the hips, knees and ankles. Anyhow--- that my opinion.

As always, YOUR mileage may vary.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Re: What is the effect of jogging? - 08/26/05 02:50 PM

Quote:

If your going to compete or be taken seriously as a fighter you better start jogging. I'm sure if your already in MA you have checked with your doctor, "I hate that expression" does a person have to tell their doctor every dam thing that relate to sports or doing a sit up! Anyway you can have the best techinque and been training for years but if your stamina is poor nothing works correctly, you become week, your will to continue fades quickly and you will look like an idiot after the first round. Jogging is part of any good athletes training program.run! Oopps just about forgot, the weight thing IMHO is waste of time. Also found if you get bored of running grab a mountain bike or ten speed and go on a few 10 mile trips instead, it really breaks up the bordom of running. I don't compete any longer but still keep a bike at work, many time I will jump on it at lunch and take off for an hour instead of eating that big old hoagie.

But Schanne, jogging isn't the only way to increase stamina. Indeed, it is not even the most effective. Bottom line- you NEED stamina for MAs. Get it how you like: jumping rope; running; trampolining; whatever- just improve it NOW!