Questions about sparring gear.

Posted by: GkC

Questions about sparring gear. - 08/03/05 06:13 AM

Hi, this is my first post, hopefully not my last. I’ve been reading the forums here for a few days making sure to join the right community. From what I’ve seen this looks to be a very helpful community, so I’m hoping you can help me with my questions.

I have been training in TKD (WTF), and I just achieved my orange belt. At my school, once we reach orange belt, sparring gear becomes required, and more focus is put around our sparring technique. Up till now I’ve done shadow sparring, which is basically non-contact step sparring where we practice movement like dodging and countering. Otherwise I’ve helped the higher belts with their dodging by throwing kicks and punches at them with their gear on.

For the past week I’ve been looking online at various brands and pieces, and looking at what others at my school have. I don't really care if I buy all from the same set or manufacturer. Whatever works and fits best (and is at a reasonable price) I’ll buy.

So one of my big questions that comes up is: What is dipped foam? From what I’ve seen, the dipped foam pieces tend to be about 15-20 dollars more then the regular. But in the product description, it never really says what it is. So what is dipped foam? What benefits does it give, and are they worth the extra money?

My next question is about the shin and instep guards. I noticed you can either buy each as separate pieces, or a shin-instep guard combination. Has anyone tried both? It’s more expensive to buy them both separately, but if it’s worth it, I might fork over the extra cash.

That’s it for questions on the overall gear I think. As far as for actually sparring, I think I have a pretty good basis. I just need some advice as far as blocking goes. I’m fine with blocking punches, but I’m not sure about kicks. Is there any way to block them without breaking your arm. Normally I’d just think to dodge. But if there are any other techniques I could use, it would be good to know.

Thanks in advance for the help if you give it.
Posted by: supermanjt

Re: Questions about sparring gear. - 08/03/05 10:27 AM

That’s it for questions on the overall gear I think. As far as for actually sparring, I think I have a pretty good basis. I just need some advice as far as blocking goes. I’m fine with blocking punches, but I’m not sure about kicks. Is there any way to block them without breaking your arm. Normally I’d just think to dodge. But if there are any other techniques I could use, it would be good to know.

Thanks in advance for the help if you give it.

In help to that question when you block a kick try to give it something to glance off of instead of just stopping it completely. I know that it is hard to do this but practice makes perfect. You could even combine a dodge with a block for good effectiveness.
Posted by: Christie

Re: Questions about sparring gear. - 08/03/05 10:31 AM

Quote:

Another thing is to throw a round kick when you dodge. People tend to forget to block themselves when kicking so they are not only open for attack but on one leg so if you hit hard enough - and when one when leg that isn't very hard - you can knock them over.
Posted by: cannonfodder

Re: Questions about sparring gear. - 08/04/05 12:09 AM

in my class we use mostly tekno, but i know a few people that have used the adidas gear as well and they say they are very similiar but that the tekno seems to last longer.
as far as instep/shin combo i wouldn't mess with it. i would buy the cloth instep guards vs. the vinyl as they don't get knocked around on your feet. the instep would be the only cloth piece that i would buy. if you buy the cloth shin/forearm you are in a world of hurt. cheaper but most definately not worth it, so go vinyl on all the other gear.
as far as chest protectors go tekno makes one that is the standard and then the J3 line. the difference being that the J3 covers around the back to the spine. the J3 are nice but at your level you don't have to worry about too many people wrapping their kicks around to your kidneys. i would suggest them more for the blackbelt level as they are more expensive. most of their gear can be bought at www.teknousa.com and i know adidas makes both styles now as well but i'm not sure if you can buy from them directly online.
i know when i bought mine i would've been able to get a discount buying the adidas gear in a package deal from a 3rd party website but ended up going with the tekno gear bought from my master as he got a discount price and they ended up being about the same price. the other advantage to that was of course being able to try it on first.
the only thing i can tell you for sure is to buy a nice bladder/groin protector. adidas and tekno both make these and they are worth the money. at my last tournament i took a roundkick to the groin and was stunned but able to continue fighting. money well spent!!
i know this is just an overview, so if i can be of any further help please let me know.

Re: Questions about sparring gear. - 08/04/05 12:26 AM

oh also, to answer the question about the dipped foam gear.
if you are in WTF the gear is different. dipped foam gear is the typical ITF or karate sparring gear which is the helmet, feet, gloves etc. our helmets are made of that material but what you are looking for on the other pieces is vinyl.
Posted by: spectrum

Re: Questions about sparring gear. - 08/04/05 12:34 AM

GKC,

Welcome to the forum. Good questions.

Here's what I think.
Most schools can help you get some basic beginners stuff.
Many schools make a little $ in the process but to start I would not get fancy.

If I had to outfit a whole bunch of kids or something I would go shopping on the web.

I was told the first Dipped foam gear was invented or inovated by Joon Rae!

Dipped foam is simply dense foam dipped in rubbery stuff.

Many new fighters block to hard! I am not able to discribe how this changes to absorbing, glancing, paireing(sp) It just happens in time.

good luck and enjoy.
Posted by: skeeterzirra

Re: Questions about sparring gear. - 08/05/05 12:37 PM

Something that no has addressed is tourneys. The rules of WTF sparring calls for specific gear and colors. At some point, you will want to compete, most likely. Avoid paying for gear twice. Get gear that is approved for the tourneys that you are likely to attend... Talk with your instructor and/or competitors in your school.

Personally, I like cloth forearm/fist under J3's and J3 for all else. The cloth/foam can be gotten for $15 + shipping for arm and leg w/ fist insteps if you net shop at the right places. Don't overlook mouthpiece. BTW, I seldom compete. No decent competition at my level in my area and I won't travel far.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Questions about sparring gear. - 08/07/05 06:13 PM

Quote:

oh also, to answer the question about the dipped foam gear.
if you are in WTF the gear is different. dipped foam gear is the typical ITF or karate sparring gear which is the helmet, feet, gloves etc. our helmets are made of that material but what you are looking for on the other pieces is vinyl.

I agree with Cannonfodder, the tekno stuff is pretty good. The foam dipped (foam cushioning dipped into a melted down rubber type covering, then when it dries feels like plastic covered cushion) is pretty dominant with the Adidas stuff. I disagree with his assessment that the foam dipped is more ITF & Karate. The helmets used in Olympic sparring arer all foam dipped.

TK
VDJ

Re: Questions about sparring gear. - 08/09/05 12:03 AM

yeah you probably read my post before i edited it to clarify. the WTF helmets are all made of the foam dipped.
i wanted to steer you away from buying a set of that since they are commonly sold that way. sorry for any confusion this may have caused.