A gift for my Instructor

Posted by: Mandolynn

A gift for my Instructor - 07/20/05 03:05 AM

I will be moving in less than two months and won't be able to attend my current school any longer. I want to get my instructor a nice gift to thank him for the 5 years he has taught me. I want to get him something that will be really special to him, but I don't know a lot about Korean culture. Can any of you help me out?
Posted by: Supremor

Re: A gift for my Instructor - 07/20/05 05:00 AM

How about an "I love Pynog Ahn" t-shirt...

...Why not get something more about yourself and your own culture, so that he's reminded of you when he sees it.
Posted by: Gemini

Re: A gift for my Instructor - 07/20/05 07:49 AM

I agree. Something that is distinctly "You" will work just as well if not better. Also, If you're close, (which I assume you are, hence the topic) something from the heart will greatly outweigh something expensive.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: A gift for my Instructor - 07/20/05 10:07 AM

Just go up to him, shake hands, say "Thanks for everything, I'll be back sometime."

Better than a gift.
Posted by: harlan

Re: A gift for my Instructor - 07/20/05 10:19 AM

Equipment. In a commercial studio, there is always 'the poor kid' who can't afford stuff. When my son left TKD, I gave his instructor all his old uniforms and sparring gear. Since he was there for years, I had size 0-5.

If he teaches weapons, you can never have enough bo's.

Personally, I like to give and get gift certificates. For example, how about one from:

http://www.koryu.com/index.html

Re: A gift for my Instructor - 07/20/05 01:34 PM

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Last night I had one of those moments when just as you are about to fall asleep the perfect idea pops in your head (LOVE those moments!) Anyway, I was thinking that I could get a custom made calligraphy scroll with the phrase, "Don't win every fight, just the next one." It's something he's pounded into my brain so much I think it's actually written there.

Re: A gift for my Instructor - 07/20/05 01:40 PM

Quote:

How about an "I love Pynog Ahn" t-shirt...

ah, this is my second choice.
Posted by: Gar

Re: A gift for my Instructor - 07/21/05 10:26 PM

If you bring him a head he'll be very angery...lol
Ok, check online, get some ideas about the culture. I'd say it should pertain to the martial arts, but it doesn't have to. Try looking around the school that you think he could use that isn't too expensive.