an unlikely run in with TKD

Posted by: Salek

an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/17/05 02:27 AM

Hello, my name is Bryce, I do karate. I like karate. I do it a lot. I never had respect for Tkd. I never thought I would do TKD.

Well I picked up a new hobby... Its a new fad i think... its called "tricking" it consists of flying kicks and flips and twists and such...
It really wins over the ladies heh heh

but yeah... I recently found out that most of the kicks that I have been doing are derived from TKD... so here is the question...

How far should I lean back on the jump for the 540 kick? and tornado kick?

and

Has anyone else heard of tricking?

thanks
Posted by: Mandolynn

Re: an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/17/05 02:52 AM

You got to be careful when you relate TKD to tricking. A lot (and I mean A LOT) will bite your head off for it. (not me, don't worry) It is true that they are derived from TKD, but only the more progresive schools teach it. Traditional schools and older practitioners really look down on it. Disgrace to the art, yada yada.

Anyway, to your question. I've heard of a lot of different techniques being called tornado kick, so you'll have to be more specific. For the 540, the more you lean back the easier it is to land, but the correct amount for each person is different and comes with practice.

BTW, TKD and Karate are so similar. What's all this hating on TKD?? (lol)

Re: an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/17/05 03:04 AM

i have just observed a lot of conflict between TKD people and Karate people... probably because they are so similar, What i was trying to relay in this message is that I have kind of gained more respect for TKD... because those damn things are hard to land...

and i kind of expected to get a lil flaming because of it... oh well... its a new age growing sport, and if they got a problem with it, they can cover their eyes and hide in a corner

Re: an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/17/05 03:12 AM

Last time I brought up 720 kicks I was afraid I wouldn't make it out with my life!

There is one web site (sorry, name escapes me at the moment, but I found it off google) that has video and stills of tricks with step by step instruction of how he does them. I found them really helpful for undersatnding 540's and 720's. I can land 540's a little over half the time, but 720's still escape me. He also has barrel rolls, flash kicks, axe-to-ariels, and a couple more there. His demos are rediculous, too. I got to go find it...

Re: an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/17/05 03:16 AM

this might be it

http://www.trickstutorials.com/

Re: an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/17/05 03:17 AM

heh heh yeah... I have about 500 posts on that site... I am quite farmiliar with it...

thanks though..

So you are from Wisconsin? I am from minnesota... What style are you in?

Re: an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/17/05 03:30 AM

Well then..could you tell me why some of the video is forbidden? It's really putting a damper on my learning, lol.

My school is like a WTF/USTU combo with a little Karate and Hapkido mixed in. We're big on olympic rules sport fighting, but we learn a fair share of self defense and traditional Korean forms beside Taegukes.

Re: an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/17/05 03:38 AM

what u should do to get some of the main sites videos it right click on the link, click save as and then work with it from there... try asking on the forums as well... they are good with all that stuff
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/17/05 04:48 AM

Raarrgghh!!! *bites Salek's head off*

A lot of people mistake TKD for a "tricking" art, it just isn't so. TKD does have a lot of fancy kicks but most of it is taught with good grounding in reality. You're better off looking into Parkour or gymnastics for that sort of thing.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/17/05 06:07 AM

Quote:

A lot of people mistake TKD for a "tricking" art, it just isn't so. TKD does have a lot of fancy kicks but most of it is taught with good grounding in reality. You're better off looking into Parkour or gymnastics for that sort of thing.

Leo hit it spot on there.

Although I do not like Tae Kwon Do being associated with tricking, I can see that for many it is a natural progression from the fancy kicks from WTF. If you use TKD as a way of learning to trick, then good on you, but remember that alot of us are using it as a fighting art.

I myself have always been interested in these fancy moves- not for my TKD, but just because as you say, they get the ladies impressed Can I suggest 3 sites:

http://www.bilang.com/ a few good samplers
http://www.neokarate.com/ explanations of millions of tricks
http://www.club540.com/ My favourite tricking site, it's got thousands of videos on it.

Notice that there are no TKD links there, however many of the practitioners of tricking are also TKD practitioners. Good luck to you...

Raarrgghh!!! *bites Salek's head off*

...sorry, couldn't help myself.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/17/05 10:58 AM

All this crap is, is just fancy gymnastics. I'm actually more impressed with the actual gymnysts that go out and compete as actaul gymysts, not some guy that does it and passes it off as a martial art then ends up getting his butt kicked in a real situation. Does the movie "Gymkata" come to mind, what a joke that was. But if you are truly impressed with this activity I would suggest looking up Matt Mullens web site as this is exactly what his "Side Swipe" team is all about. One last question, why does the WTF/Kukki style get credit for the "fancy" TKD kicks. ITF/Chang Hon has the same kicks just different terminolgy. Example the "tornado" kick is known as the "Narabum" (commonly mistaken as saying autobon) kick in the WTF/Kukki. Which I would believe to be the 360 kick in ITF/Chang Hon style.

TK
VDJ
Posted by: Supremor

Re: an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/17/05 11:03 AM

I think it is due to WTF's way of sparring, where it is easier to use a 360 kick, than in ITF where you'll get a punch to the head for it. You are right VDJ, we do use 360s, and I've found them very useful in certain sparring situations.

Re: an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/17/05 09:45 PM

Quote:

I think it is due to WTF's way of sparring, where it is easier to use a 360 kick, than in ITF where you'll get a punch to the head for it. You are right VDJ, we do use 360s, and I've found them very useful in certain sparring situations.

Go to page 3 of this forum and look at the video I posted in the "WTF allowing punches to the head" thread. There's a knockout done in one of them. This is a full contact ITF event. The knockout comes from a 360 kick, and is replayed in slow motion. The footage is a little grainy but the KO is sweet.

VDJ

Re: an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/17/05 10:47 PM

Surely this could not have been an official event because Article 36 Section B of the ITF sparring rules clearly state that heavy contact results in immediate disqualification.

Re: an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/18/05 09:25 AM

Quote:

Surely this could not have been an official event because Article 36 Section B of the ITF sparring rules clearly state that heavy contact results in immediate disqualification.

I don't know if it was an "official" ITF event, but all the competitors were ITF & as you see full contact. There have been more and more of these events and I think it has to do with their hopes of inclusion for the olympics (just my opinion, no facts on that).

TK
VDJ

Re: an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/18/05 12:05 PM

I personally believe it's a good move for ITF TKD practitioners to do full contact in tournaments if they are willing.

Re: an unlikely run in with TKD - 07/20/05 04:37 PM

i think the 360 crescent is useful in certain situations, but the cresent 540, no. and the tornado or tornado 540 are useless... to much spinning... idk

i value these things as an art, BUT i am doing them for show