Streetfighting trend

Posted by: SANCHIN31

Streetfighting trend - 06/11/05 12:19 AM

I've noticed a trend in this forum.More poss are drifting toward the streetfighting junk with lots of ridiculous advice to boot. Why? Are there just a bunch of kids on this forum with nothing better to talk about? What about your forms,competitions,different school curriculm etc...?This forum wasn't created to talk about streetfighting(whatever the hell that is)!
Can you guys please drop the streetfighting malarkey? It's obvious by the posts that some of you have no clue whatsoever.I like to read here,but I don't want to read junk. Thanks.
Posted by: TraditionalTKD

Re: Streetfighting trend - 06/11/05 02:08 AM

One of the things I find amusing is that they are always willing to offer advice about what to do in a particular street confrontation. Like you will be levelheaded enough to be able to cooly react the way you are supposed to.
Aside from street fights being very unpredictable, by their nature your body switches gears physically and mentally, and it becomes difficult to maintain focus. It's hard enough when you have trained for a long time. Now you want to take some piece of "wisdom" that may or may not work and try to remember it in the heat of battle?
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Streetfighting trend - 06/11/05 02:14 AM

Oh where oh where is the moderator.
Just read the wonderful "How to get killed in the street thread" or whatever it was called.

It was disturbing the depth of foolishness advocated.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Streetfighting trend - 06/11/05 09:18 AM

Yes indeed, I've got a bit bores with these streetfighting threads. I've never read one and don't intend to. For a start, the majority of people who have been in a "streetfight" don't have enough working limbs left afterwards to write on this forum.

I have a great strategy for any fight outside my Dojo, which is RUN!!!!
Posted by: Gula

Re: Streetfighting trend - 06/13/05 08:58 AM

Trends come and go and usually go in circles.. so its only a matter of time when the TKD vs Muay Thai(or any "manly" style) posts come =D
Posted by: SkInHoUnD

Re: Streetfighting trend - 06/13/05 09:35 AM

Quote:

Can you guys please drop the streetfighting malarkey?

LoL! He said Malarkey!
*bows reverantly*
Posted by: slash89

Re: Streetfighting trend - 06/14/05 04:56 PM

i agree there is alot of streetfighting topics on the forum..maybe too many..and yes it does give the impression that there is alot of crazy little kids wondering how they can best maim the next person that looks at them but dont forget that self defence has always been a big part of martial arts and it is a very important part too. especially in todays world. martial arts teach us many things; strength of mind soul and body. these three things work hand in hand and are equally important so i personally think that topics on street fighting are just as important as topics about classes and competitions and what not..as i said in another thread, students are entitled to wonder and ask questions and these questions should be answered and encouraged otherwise how will the level of martials arts we have in this generation be carried on to the next one. i know i have gone very far astray however i think its all relevant to the topic at hand. that is my opinion.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Streetfighting trend - 06/14/05 05:40 PM

Sanchin

Oldman said same thing, I had mentioned that with the way the "streetfighting" topic keeps coming up, you would think that folks had jobs a professional streetfighters.

Oldman responded with a really cool drawing for it---problem is I can't recall which thread its on.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Streetfighting trend - 06/14/05 06:39 PM

Quote:

i agree there is alot of streetfighting topics on the forum..maybe too many..and yes it does give the impression that there is alot of crazy little kids wondering how they can best maim the next person that looks at them but dont forget that self defence has always been a big part of martial arts and it is a very important part too.

Agreed.That's why we have a SD forum.

Quote:

especially in todays world. martial arts teach us many things; strength of mind soul and body. these three things work hand in hand and are equally important so i personally think that topics on street fighting are just as important as topics about classes and competitions and what not.

In the TKD forum?

Quote:

.as i said in another thread, students are entitled to wonder and ask questions and these questions should be answered and encouraged otherwise how will the level of martials arts we have in this generation be carried on to the next one. i know i have gone very far astray however i think its all relevant to the topic at hand. that is my opinion.

I think it's not relevant at all! Have you read here much? The kids aren't asking questions about it,they're giving advice. Like I said,this is a TKD forum.Maybe we should have a str33ef1ght1ng forum!

cxt, I wish I could remember that thread.
Posted by: slash89

Re: Streetfighting trend - 06/20/05 07:31 PM

my apologies sanchin31..missed the streetfightin forum..no harm intended..
Posted by: Spin_Hook

Re: Streetfighting trend - 07/07/05 03:34 PM

I love the offhand "what I would do in a street fight" advice. I know if my instructor found out that I was out starting fights in the street over something stupid (which is almost invariably what street fights are about) then I would be summarily kicked out of my school with a full refund the next day.

Here's a tip for "street fighters": try using your brain and diffusing the situation before worrying about which window you should throw a guy through. I'm not saying sit the guy down and discuss his childhood but 90% of the time apologizing (even if I wasn't wrong to begin with) and offering to buy a round of beer saved me the trouble of having to spend half the night getting stitches.

Whatever happened to the philosophical aspect of martial arts? The aim of self improvement over the aim of "kicking ass"?
Posted by: Ubermint

Re: Streetfighting trend - 07/08/05 12:14 AM

From the problem with the streetfighting mindset.

Quote:

One would think that by training in "street" orientated martial arts, or combatives that emphasize the self defense aspects of martial arts, to the exclusion of what they deem to be "sports" training, that these types of individuals would gain more confidence, more peace, more happiness, and become more comfortable within them as their skills at 'self-defense' grew. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that the opposite seems to be true. Individuals that come to strictly "street" orientated martial arts, that were already prone to feelings of inadequacy, shame, physiological fear, and paranoia tend to have those qualities magnified by such training, rather then eased.

I wouldn't ask anyone to take my word for it with that assessment. Instead I would suggest one visit the nearest "mercenary" convention, combatives or "street" martial arts forums, or speak with these individuals in person. This sadness, anger, and immense fear is palpable when you are forced to spend anytime around these types of individuals. Try reading the posts at the "street" forums. Many tend to read like angry notes from disgruntled 13-year-old boys. There is talk of "tearing out the mo-fo's eyes", biting, and various vicious things that can be done to the attackers. The posts speak to an intense anger and fear in the writers, and sadly, the Instructors of such curriculums cater to this need by exploiting their target audiences obvious weakness, and emotional frailty.

Posted by: MG26

Re: Streetfighting trend - 07/08/05 03:56 PM

I've read the full version of this article and it appears to consist of nothing more than uncorroborated personal opinions and bland assertions. There is not an iota of evidence to back up any of the author's claims, which furthermore appear to be unqualified. I find that this extract in particular:

"Regards the stick fighting, to actually be able to fight with a stick one would have to start by throwing out the majority of the "Kali" that is typically taught, and almost all the 'drills', which are little more then two man Kata which teach one what not to do."

detracts from much of the author's credibility. He does not understand what the kali drills are supposed to teach. Anyone who has spent even a couple of hours on kali knows what the 2-man drills are meant to teach.

There are a myriad reasons to doubt all of the author's claims, but I can't be bothered to waste any more time on this piece of rubbish, which appears to be a hapless but bold piece of magazine "filler".
Posted by: WanderingMonk

Re: Streetfighting trend - 07/27/05 01:07 PM

Sir
Let us not forget that this topic has had a life of its own scince and before the dynastys, and like every combative study it is born out of fear, and most people do the arts to better themselfs and gain a higher learning to become fitter, what we miss is the mental development, we can not teach a destructrive disipline, throw them in a ring a say fight see whos better. it is just not right, sculpt their minds as well. if it means a serious discusion about brawls then so be it. By the way nobady wins in a fight real or fake.