ankle weights

Posted by: zapper

ankle weights - 05/30/05 02:38 AM

is it alright to use ankle weights to increase kicking speed...by just using em everyday? except when kicking/
Posted by: skeeterzirra

Re: ankle weights - 05/30/05 08:41 AM

I tried that when I was relatively new (I still am) and it just caused knee pain. training for "smoothness" and jumping and sprints are what gave me the best improvement on speed.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: ankle weights - 05/30/05 09:13 AM

Skeeterzira is right on. Ankle weights while kicking with speed are very dangerous for your joints.

A much better idea is to use the weights while kicking very slow and with good form. This will greatly improve your kicking strength, without the stress to your joints.

Ankle (or wrist) weights should NOT be used for speed training.
Posted by: CdkwaN

Re: ankle weights - 05/30/05 10:28 AM

Seems as though I have read in the past where Bruce Lee had used ankle weights, but not sure how he used them. If he did indeed use them, I bet he used them with common sense. Might be something you could do a bit more research on!
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: ankle weights - 05/30/05 11:38 AM

If he used them (Lee) it was probaly when doing frog kicks, or leg lifts hanging from a pull up bar or such.
Posted by: Foundation

Re: ankle weights - 05/30/05 12:25 PM

I tought zapper said use the ankle weights every day except when kicking, I suppose he means just walking with them, or am I wrong?
I don't think that'd strain your joints too much?
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: ankle weights - 05/30/05 12:36 PM

Just noticed that as well. I don't think it would strain your joints just wearing them (not kicking fast/hard), but I don't think would increase kicking speed either.

Re: ankle weights - 05/31/05 12:38 AM

I tried weights everyday, on daily walks and tried switching to some heavy steel reinforced boots, too. It helped improve strength and stamina, but not speed.

Plyometrics and working the fast twitch muscles are what will give you speed. Frog jumps, jump rope, interval sprints, and a lot of fast kicks with "whip" will give you the fast kicks you want
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: ankle weights - 05/31/05 08:26 AM

I would generally advise against using ankle weights as it throws your balance, timimg and accuracy off. If you do wish to utilise weight belts, then attach them together and strap them around your waist. That way when you run or practice jump kicks etc, then you will not be greatly affecting your centre of balance.

I remember reading a Bruce lee quote which went something like: "If you want fast kicks, then kick faster."

Try doing this: Hang a tied up carrier bag from a beam at head height. (Carrier bags are great, because they russle when they are hit, so you can also practice controls as well). Warm Up. Then hit the Carrier Bag with as many lead Roundhouse kicks as you can in say 30 seconds. (Each time you kick, GENTLY place your foot back on the floor). Rest for a bit. Have another go with your other leg. Repeat for 3 more full reps. Remember your best total for each leg. Repeat 2 - 3 times per week. It works, trust me.

Extra Stuff and Tips
Lengthen the hitting time to 1 minute.
Buy a Cooker Timer, to save you looking at your watch.
Posted by: slash89

Re: ankle weights - 05/31/05 06:01 PM

sorry to ask a stupid question but GriffyGriffs method sounds good so i must ask..what is a round the house kick..is it a cresent kick or a back reverse turning kick or what..we obviously call that kick a different name in my club sorry for askin again

Re: ankle weights - 06/01/05 01:19 AM

Some call it a turning kick...dolryo chagi.
Posted by: slash89

Re: ankle weights - 06/03/05 05:46 PM

tanks skeeterzirra..many thanks