TKD's types of strikes

Posted by: Striker

TKD's types of strikes - 05/13/05 10:00 PM

Hello there,
One of my friend took TKD lessons 5 years ago and recently wonder what he could remember about his former martial arts. We are seeking a site where diffrent kind of strikes in TKD are explained with illustrations, if possible. We tried so with google and the search engine of Fighting Arts without any satisfying results, so we call for your help here.
Thanks,
Striker
Posted by: badkarma

Re: TKD's types of strikes - 05/18/05 10:04 AM

Tae kwon do doesn't have that many strikes, its mostly kicking. But the ones I've learned so far were: the basic jab, cross; suto-ridge; back-fist palm strike; elbow strikes. A few blocks also have strikes in them.
Hope this helps some.:p

--Josh
Posted by: SkInHoUnD

Re: TKD's types of strikes - 05/18/05 10:35 AM

Well..no..there are alot of strikes. Ive seen them in books before but i know nothing of them myself.
Posted by: MN JC

Re: TKD's types of strikes - 05/18/05 11:05 AM

It depends upon the teacher. TKD does have many strikes some teachers choose not to teach all of them.

I would suggest finding a good TKD school to learn from instead of looking for a book.

Good Luck
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: TKD's types of strikes - 05/18/05 12:17 PM

We can strike and block with any of these points:

http://www.severntaekwondo.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/severn/pics/foot_hand.jpg

The strikes are varied and must be taught by a qualified instructor first hand. They include

Jab
Cross
Hammerfist
Uppercut
Hook (Not so sure about this one)
Knife hand
Spear hand
Single finger strike
Double finger strike
Eye jab
Palm heel
and various others.
Posted by: Gemini

Re: TKD's types of strikes - 05/18/05 12:38 PM

It depends on what you consider "that many". I've learned over 20 different types of strikes. Both Jearugi(direct, such as a jab) and chagi (indirect, such as an uppercut). I've never seen all of them illustrated in one place, nor do I know if there are more, though I'd bet there are. The most I've ever seen in one place was the Kukkiwon training manual. Maybe try that.
Posted by: Welsh Dragon

Re: TKD's types of strikes - 05/21/05 10:17 AM

Hi guys,

There is a book called Taekwondo, traditions, philosophy and technique by an author called Marc Tedechi which is an excellent reference. It details the two main styles (itf-wtf) and shows all the patterns used by both styles. Over a 1000 pages of info. Many hand strikes which will probably change most peoples attitude toward tkd if they ever read it. (there are actually more hand techs than foot in the itf style). It is expensive though I paid £60 uk for it but Is well worth it. He also has a similar book on Hapkido which is unbeleivable which totally complements the tkd book.
Every taekwondoka should have them!Happy reading!
Posted by: butterfly

Re: TKD's types of strikes - 05/21/05 12:10 PM

I think your discussions are good. The problem is not that TKD doesn't have these strikes. It's that many dojang do not practice them. Regardless if the curriculm has it listed somewhere, but if you never use them, then you don't have them. De Facto, no practice = no strikes.
Posted by: Welsh Dragon

Re: TKD's types of strikes - 05/23/05 05:49 AM

Because I teach traditional ITF tkd these strikes are taught and drilled in my Dojang. As you say its down to the system (sport or self defence) and the instructor. Respect to all