Black Belt Challenge

Posted by: Anonymous

Black Belt Challenge - 04/01/05 09:00 AM

Hello. I'm 20 y.o. 5'11" with an Orange Belt in itf style tkd. I study in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Has anyone ever heard of / been in a "black belt challenge" or "ultimate black belt challenge"? It's like a one year comittment and you have to do X amout of pushups, situps, acts of kindness, sparring rounds, daily meditation, etc and you have to log it.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Re: Black Belt Challenge - 04/01/05 12:27 PM

Never heard of it but I gotta know if this is a program that costs an extra chunk of money or simply a way of keeping you on track to your goal (BB). IMHO, it shouldn't cost more money for "special programs" (BB Clubs etc.) because anyone dedicated enough to consistantly train for as long as they need to train to earn the rank deserves the rank. Anything else is a $-maker for your instructor & you should consider another less $-oriented school.

Don't confuse this w/ seminars or special training sessions w/ high-ranking guest instructors who customarily teach skills not ordinarily taught in your school. Attend as many as you can to become more well-rounded.

Also avoid classes that REQUIRE you to buy special equipment, videos, private lessons etc. Again...money is the focus, not the love of training.

Good luck & let me know the result.

Re: Black Belt Challenge - 04/01/05 12:50 PM

It is run by Tom Callos I believe. He was a student of Ernie Reyes senior. For awhile he was asscociated with NAPMA but is no longer. I imagine like any program you will get out of it what you put into it.

oldman