Discipline and practicality in TKD

Posted by: Anonymous

Discipline and practicality in TKD - 03/21/05 04:23 PM

Today I was speaking with my Jujutsu Sensei about how I studied TKD since 1989. To be frank, he does not think well of TKD and says that the majority of schools have become lax in their teaching and more like a sport than MA. I am fairly sure this was not the case in my Doujang because my instructor taught TKD in the army and taught us the same way. What do you all think of the practicality and discipline in your Doujangs? Are you studying TKD as a sport or MA?

Also, I am curious how discipline is conducted in your Doujangs. We are not permitted to talk or move during classes unless specifically told that we can do so. We are required to address the instructor and BBs as "Sir" or "Madam" whenever talking to them. We must shout "YES SIR!" after every instruction given, much like in the army. How is it in your Doujangs?

[This message has been edited by Leo_E_49 (edited 03-21-2005).]

Re: Discipline and practicality in TKD - 03/22/05 08:00 AM

As far as TKD as a whole, that always seems to be the consensus, but it isn't in my school and that's exactly why it's my school.

We train "TKD, the MA" and "TKD, the sport" as two separate entities. Because they are. So many people say "you could never defend yourself with sparring techniques". I agree with this to some extent. But you also cannot bring your street techniques into a sparring class, though in my school, many have tried...once.

We practice not only the common kicking and blocking techniques but equal time on strikes and take downs. For the more advanced students that show they can handle the responsibility, there are also certain types of kicks and take downs, submissions, etc., that are not commonly practiced in most TKD schools. Not even most of our own students see them. Students must be more responsible because it takes a high degree of control, both physical and mental.

Our general curriculum is primarily for self defense. Students can pursue sparring if they choose, which are held in separate classes. However, unlike many schools in my region, it is are not required, and not practiced in a regular class.

As is the case in your school, strict decipline is adherred to without exception.

Re: Discipline and practicality in TKD - 03/22/05 09:31 AM

Hey Leo. My instructor was taught by a Korean Master (Master Sung Lee - 7th Dan Taekwondo/Hapkito) who also came from an army background and who taught the Korean and US Marines. The same way he taught my instructor is how I am taught.

We enter class and salute the flag and bow to all of the black belts, regardless of age. We call everybody "sir" and "ma'am". You never speak out of turn nor move around. It is forbidden to lean on walls or have your arms crossed or on your hips. We also must answer "YES SIR" the same as you do. When leaving the class you must salute the flag and bow to the black belts.

Even in public you must treat all classmates with the same respect. I even had to bow to my instructor and another black belt in a crowded movie theatre line up. Sure gets a lot of looks.

We train more on traditional TKD such as patterns and movements, blocks and kicks, punches, etc. We do spar and is required but it is not pushed or our main emphasis. As my instructor was taught Taekwondo with Hapkito mixed in, he also saw a need for more ground work so became a black belt in Jujitsu. With this we get a better rounded fighting style. As our instrutor competes in Jujistu matches and has also Takewondo and Muay Thai matches, he imparts on us all of the good of each.

I enjoy his teaching style with the disipline, honor and respect. This has made me a better person.

[This message has been edited by Dereck (edited 03-22-2005).]

Re: Discipline and practicality in TKD - 03/22/05 10:30 PM

both art and sport in my school