Taekwondo Popularity in Korea

Posted by: Anonymous

Taekwondo Popularity in Korea - 03/11/05 06:41 PM

In Korea is Taekwondo popular like Football and Baseball are in the U.S.? Do they have any TKD Competition on television over there?

Re: Taekwondo Popularity in Korea - 03/12/05 04:20 PM

yep. its their national sport. so its a really big thing to them.

Re: Taekwondo Popularity in Korea - 03/12/05 08:18 PM

WEll. it depends because Soccer is taking over. like Taekwondo is a school credit to them. so tey have to take it. Lot of people don't take it anymore because of money and school, job etc.. they don't have much freetime like us Americans do.

Re: Taekwondo Popularity in Korea - 03/16/05 03:43 PM

Yeah, a guy just moved from South Korea and I had the oppurtunity to ask him about the popularity of Martial Arts in his homeland. In his broken english he told me that they would have school tournaments (this is academic school, he is in 10th grade!) like we have track meets. They had a PE class, but they had a seratate class twice a week exclusivley for the purpose of learning and prefecting Tae Kwon Do. He also mentioned that in North Korea, the communist government could draft you to a national Tae Kwon Do team, with or without your consent.

[This message has been edited by Glyde (edited 03-16-2005).]

Re: Taekwondo Popularity in Korea - 03/17/05 12:53 PM

teakwondo is BIG in korea

Re: Taekwondo Popularity in Korea - 03/18/05 12:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Glyde:
Yeah, a guy just moved from South Korea and I had the oppurtunity to ask him about the popularity of Martial Arts in his homeland. In his broken english he told me that they would have school tournaments (this is academic school, he is in 10th grade!) like we have track meets. They had a PE class, but they had a seratate class twice a week exclusivley for the purpose of learning and prefecting Tae Kwon Do. He also mentioned that in North Korea, the communist government could draft you to a national Tae Kwon Do team, with or without your consent.

[This message has been edited by Glyde (edited 03-16-2005).]
[/QUOTE]

The Country of NOrth korea is one big Jail. If you see the Documentary "Faces of evil: Kim Il-Jong" its absouletly horrible.

Re: Taekwondo Popularity in Korea - 03/20/05 08:37 PM

true. Korea is just like yin and yang. North is similar to nazi germany and South is part of the free world. Even their TKD is separated cuz of that (ITF vs WTF)

Re: Taekwondo Popularity in Korea - 03/26/05 07:34 PM

I'd hate to fight for North Korea. I hear if the North Korean fighers lose they get punished. I heard the same thing about athletes in Iraq when Saddam was in control.