tkd

Posted by: Anonymous

tkd - 03/11/05 03:58 AM

hi everyone [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
i have a disabilty that affects my wrists,tkd has been recommended to me as a good martial art ican do to continue my training (as it is mainly a kicking style) after suffering with my disabilty(ive trained in f/c karate kung fu and jkd)i idont no much about this style or the lesson structure.i live in the uk and there is a t.a.g.b. club near me is this clud/association any good?
thanks for any advice
dave

Re: tkd - 03/11/05 02:41 PM

dexter7

T.A.G.B is the UK association for TKD. They have some slightly different rules and patterns but nothing to write home about.

TKD has quite a lot of hand techniques for predominantly a leg sport. Having said that, how must does your disability affect you? When it comes to ground work and grabs and stuff then it could be a little taxing on your arms but you get to that when you get to it.

When it comes to clubs and stuff, if you are in the UK then you can choose from T.A.G.B or I.T.F. I have not seen a W.T.F academy yet, even though i am sure there are some around. I would just turn up and see what they do. That way you can make your own judgement. It shouldnt matter what association it is really cos the material doesnt differ that much!

Hope that helps

BTW, you are not too far away from me. Im from dodgy Northampton, home of the highest Council Tax in England! We also have some of the dodgiest roads in England too and I think we have probably the most speed cameras anywhere in the country! Take a guess as to any reason why I would possibly want to leave!

Scott

[This message has been edited by Nitronix (edited 03-11-2005).]

Re: tkd - 03/13/05 05:26 AM

thanks for the advice scott,im going to give the t.a.g.b. a go as according to there web site they cater for disabled people.how punching/grappling is going to affect me i dont really no until i try. the only down side is i am very competitive so i might try to do more than i safely can do!
thanks again for the advice

dave