taekwondo Australia

Posted by: Anonymous

taekwondo Australia - 03/06/05 09:57 AM

can someone give me some information about taekwondo trainig centers in Brisbane, Australia?

Re: taekwondo Australia - 03/08/05 07:25 PM

What do you want to do sport or art?
Pacific International (Chung Do Kwan TKD allined with the World Taekwondo Alliance) is a good non/semi contact art with no compitions and practices more traditioanl art. I dont know about Brisbane but I sure theres something. Heres the e-mail adress, pitkd@powerup.com.au <pitkd@powerup.com.au> and website http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~pitkd/index.html.
There is also Rhee TKD (also Chung Do Kwan TKD) in the "art not sport" area but to be honest its a bit of a McDojo now (it used to be good). However you might still be able to find a good school.

My old club in NZ (New Zealand has many of the same organizations as Australia) started Rhee but then went to Pacific. In my opinion, it's best TKD Ive done, but Im in it more for the art side. I did it for over 3 years. Because its only non/semi cantact, almost anything goes in sparring, even low kicks, elbows, knees etc (other TKD ban these cause they're dangerous but if you're not accaully hitting they're OK). Also some locks, throws and a lot of hand work. You can't use locks, throws and sweeps in sparring but you do learn them for self defence.

On the other end is WTF, which is full contact, sport TKD. Ive never done this so I dont know much about it other than its the olympics TKD. I hear its mostly kicking and punches to the head are not allowed but I can neither confirm nor deny that. It also has diffrent patterns.

More in the middle is ITF. I did this for a year. Seems good if you can get a good school. They are more art orintated but do have compitition as well and it`s contact/semi contact. Anything above the waist is game including punches to the head.

At the end of the day its all down to the school. Ever club I've ever know lets you sit in and watch, many even let you try it free for a month. Try it a see whats good for you. Hope this helps.

[

[This message has been edited by JayJay (edited 03-08-2005).]

[This message has been edited by JayJay (edited 03-08-2005).]

Re: taekwondo Australia - 03/13/05 05:33 PM

There is a new club open called BTC(Brisbane Taekwondo Centre) at Kelvin Grove. Not too sure if that is any good for you but you can always get in touch with them and see if they know of anyone in your district.