What does your match ups look like

Posted by: Anonymous

What does your match ups look like - 02/22/05 11:01 PM

I've been intrestest in TKD my whole life. Ever since i was a kid i would mimic everything i've seen on tv. But 4 months ago I thought "now let learn how to do this stuff right". With my earlyer experance I was a very advanced newcomer, in no time I doubled promoted to and orange belt, but my master always places me againt black belts. Not only black belts but bigger black belts. I'm 5'7 115 pounds(yes i'm that small) but i usually spare against a guy whos about 6'6 and just over 200 pounds. Sometimes i win some times i loose. I just wanted to know was this a good idea. And does anyone else have any odd match ups like this?
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: What does your match ups look like - 02/23/05 04:02 AM

Wow, you seem to have achieved a lot in only four months. If I was your teacher I would also partner you with the black belts. I wish all my new students watched loads of TV to gain earlyer experience.
Sharon

Re: What does your match ups look like - 02/23/05 01:47 PM

hi orayin, it is awesome that you chose to learn the martial art of tae kwon do.. ever since i started training tkd at age of 8, i have never stopped loving it for many valuable lessons it has taught me over the years..

5'7" 115 pounds orange belt vs. 6'6" 200+ pounds black belt is no joke.. to be honest, in both strength and tkd experience, it is assumed that the black belt has good advantage over you.. however, with your earlier trainings, in many ways, you can even out those advantages.. for instance, generally speaking of course, a person with smaller stature and weight has advantage over speed.. you would most likely be a lot more mobile and agile compared to your opponent.. second, you have earlier training in different martial art i assume.. unless it is 100% illegal in tkd, i assume in ways you can surprise your opponents.. by the way, which martial arts did you practice prior to learning tae kwon do? i would love to hear about it..

i too, have sparred many opponents who were bigger and stronger than i am.. depending on the opponent, i would use different strategies in overcoming my obstacles.. if a person is stronger than i am, perhaps i will even that out with my technical skills.. if he has just gotten his blackbelt, i may win using my past experiences.. or if the opponent is faster, i would wait to see a chance and when i do, i would use my speed to knock him out..

as you are well aware of it.. there are various tactics one may choose in sparring another opponent.. and i believe 9 out of 10 ten times, it comes from experience.. whoever spars and fights more has great advantage over his or her opponent..

continue training hard and best wishes to you..

TKD4LIFE

Re: What does your match ups look like - 02/23/05 02:12 PM

The only prior training i have had with an actuall teacher is a year of Boxing. I don't know if it considered a martial art yet.
Other then that i've just been on my own expermenting and such. A little vale tudo, shotokan, and recently I've been expermenting with Muay thai.

But yes I pride myself on my agility, speed and balance, so I do try to exploit them when ever i can.

I do enjoy TKD a lot, and everyone thinks I'm a natural, so I plan on seeing how far it will take me.

But lately i've been running into another problem.

My master has great expectations for me have a career in TKD, he's already talking about National Teams. I don't know if i'm really that good or if he's selling me a dream. Its a lot of presure. But whenever I try to talk to him about other martial arts, he quickly refers back to TKD. Like when I asked him about Muay Thai he replied "there are a lot of knees and elbows in TKD to" and kind of brushed off my question. I don't know if its just a bad habit or he's desperatly trying to keep me intrested in TKD.

Re: What does your match ups look like - 02/24/05 02:44 AM

If you are in tkd then you're not that good. Go back to watching tv or taking gymkata [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] As for the 6'6" 200 guy,is he a retard? All he has to do is lay on you! If I fought you I'd just pick you up and throw your skinny little butt across the room.
Yeah..Go national,win all your little trophies.I hope you don't ever have to use your false self confidence in a life or death situation.
Quit and go do MMA!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG]

Re: What does your match ups look like - 02/24/05 06:32 AM

Whats with the additude, i will go to nationals and win my trophies. I'll be making more use of my skills then you. I respect the martial art and the sport. And how do you know how good i am, for all you know i could be the next Bruce Lee(just an example i don't think i'm that good, but i plan on it).

Why is the sport of TKD so looked down upon anyhow, why can't you respect it for what it is a sport, like boxing it has it rules. The rules are in place to make it more tradisonal, since TKD is a kicking art and all.

I know what works and what doesen't in a real situatuion, hell any one with common sence should

Re: What does your match ups look like - 02/24/05 10:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by orayin:
Whats with the additude, i will go to nationals and win my trophies. I'll be making more use of my skills then you. I respect the martial art and the sport. And how do you know how good i am, for all you know i could be the next Bruce Lee(just an example i don't think i'm that good, but i plan on it).

Fine, win your trophies and carry them around to use incase of random violence.

Why is the sport of TKD so looked down upon anyhow, why can't you respect it for what it is a sport, like boxing it has it rules. The rules are in place to make it more tradisonal, since TKD is a kicking art and all.
------------------------------------------
IT IS???

Simple, Because it has ruined american martial arts with all this sport crap!!
Rules are for panzies!! TKD instructors are responsible for more little kids getting beat up than any other sport!! Look how many tkd blackbelts there are!! Too many that don't know crap!!Tkd is just who can do the fanciest kicks,spinning around like balerinas and who can have the most patches with the prettiest uniform!!
---------------------------------------------

I know what works and what doesen't in a real situatuion, hell any one with common sence should
[/QUOTE]
---------------------------------------------

Sure you do!!OK tell me what you think works.

Re: What does your match ups look like - 02/25/05 12:05 AM

that what you think of the youth, how old are you? I can do some pretty looking stuff, but it's just for demos, and 9 times out of 10 when you see an elaberate kick thats just what it is a demo.

You say rules make TKD a bad sport, what sport doesn't have them.

Yeah i have to say they do try and commercialize TKD a little too much but what martial art doesent? Every martial artist want there style to be known, used, and adored by the masses. Thats seems to be the main reason your on this forum. I think your just made because TKD is doing it well.

and do you know of any kid getting beat up because of TKD or are you just assuming this, cause i don't know any.

As for real fights i stick with the punches back fists,knees,elbows,low side kicks and roundhouse.

[This message has been edited by orayin (edited 02-25-2005).]

Re: What does your match ups look like - 02/25/05 11:55 AM

Don't get caught up in his rediculous remarks, orayin. Just ignore him. With any luck, the little troll will crawl back in his cave in no time. Enjoy your TKD!

Re: What does your match ups look like - 02/25/05 12:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by To the point:
If you are in tkd then you're not that good. Go back to watching tv or taking gymkata [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] As for the 6'6" 200 guy,is he a retard? All he has to do is lay on you! If I fought you I'd just pick you up and throw your skinny little butt across the room.
Yeah..Go national,win all your little trophies.I hope you don't ever have to use your false self confidence in a life or death situation.
Quit and go do MMA!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]

To the point,
Still looking for enlightenment?
oldman

Re: What does your match ups look like - 02/25/05 01:51 PM

i got a guy who was about 10 lbs heavier and 4 inches taller at a tournament. he fought with strength(bad mistake) i used speed and ended up giving him an athsma attack lol

Re: What does your match ups look like - 02/25/05 02:35 PM

Holy crap thats pretty impressive, to give a guy an athsma attack you but be in great shape and very fast.

Re: What does your match ups look like - 02/25/05 03:22 PM

thanks, there are still so many ways i need to improve. like flexability and endurance. do u have any advice?

Re: What does your match ups look like - 02/27/05 04:02 PM

I'm very impressed you could learn so many techniques from just watching. I must say you are a natural.

Don't worry about your teacher saying that TKD has MT techniques. Every MAist wants to promote their own MA. (BTW it is true that TKD does have knees and elbows, just most ppl dun train them)

If you don't feel ready for national teams tell your instructor. I didn't and when I was KOed in my first match I quit the team straight away out of shock. If I'd been better prepared for it and more confident I'm sure I'd have done better than that.

If you want to cross train Muay Thai, go on! Imho when it comes to MA the more the merrier.

For To the point:

MMA means that you take more than one martial art. TKD can be one of these and it certainly does help with footwork.

For TKD4LIFE:

Flexibility can be improved by regular stretching but I'm sure you knew that. Endurance training should be about burst endurance as well as longer stretches of activity. I'd suggest take up long distance running and more specifically try doing shuttle-runs and your hardest kicking drills in full padding for one unbroken session of 2-3 hours every week. That's what I did when I was 14 and I've still got most of the stamina I built back then.

Also don't neglect strength training. I know you beat someone stronger than you because he was slow but what happens when you meet someone stronger than you who's just as fast. It's happened to me (very painful), don't let it happen to you.

[This message has been edited by Leo_E_49 (edited 02-27-2005).]