Universal forms

Posted by: Anonymous

Universal forms - 02/15/05 09:19 AM

I posted this on another forum but no one responed. So here it is again.

Universal forms are a set of movements. Punches, Kicks or body movements that form a routine. Universal 1 has 10 movements while Universal 7 has 72 movements. We are required to preform these movements as part of a test for belt advancement. Yellow belts must know U1. Purple belts must know U2. Blue belts must know U3. etc.
I don't know whay there are seven. We also have to learn 10 basic combination forms which are 4 or 5 movements. And also 24A which is 24 arm movements and 22B which is 22 basic movements.

We spend about 20 minutes per class(one hour classes) learning these. I'm wondering if anyone else does this or even if they really are usefull for improving TKD skills.
Posted by: Dark

Re: Universal forms - 02/15/05 08:59 PM

yes because these forms help you learn many strikes and blocks all at once, instead of just learning them one at a time.

Re: Universal forms - 02/16/05 12:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dark:
yes because these forms help you learn many strikes and blocks all at once, instead of just learning them one at a time.[/QUOTE]

I agree these combinations are necessary practice, be they as set sparring or patterns, it is far easier for the practitioner to remember all the blocks and strikes when they are put into a recognisable form. The instructor needs to teach the basics and with say 10 students in a class it would be far easier to see who is performing technique incorrectly when every student is doing the same techniques. The same applies for gradings the examiner would find it difficult to judge a number of pratitioners on thier skills if the students all doing thier own thing. There has to be a syllybus for each grade so that the student has goals to achieve and so that there is some structure to both lessons and gradings. I'm sure there is much more to add to this subject and I don't profess to know it all also I know some individuals don't like patterns, Kata etc. Everyone to thier own, but this is my opinion.

Re: Universal forms - 02/17/05 04:11 PM

Are these universal forms in addition to your patterns (kata)? So for my belt I would have to do the Hwa Rang pattern. Are you saying that in addition to this, free sparring, three step, one step and knowing all the theory I would also have to do the universal forms too. Sounds good to me. It would certainly sort the men out from the boys. Some people tend to blag their way through the grading and the patterns.

Scott

Re: Universal forms - 02/17/05 07:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nitronix:
Are these universal forms in addition to your patterns (kata)? So for my belt I would have to do the Hwa Rang pattern. Are you saying that in addition to this, free sparring, three step, one step and knowing all the theory I would also have to do the universal forms too. Sounds good to me. It would certainly sort the men out from the boys. Some people tend to blag their way through the grading and the patterns.

Scott
[/QUOTE]

We don't do Kata Patterns but we do perform Weapon forms. You probably learn the Kata Patterns rather then the Universal forms. I have found a few of the forms on the internet but not all of the forms that we will learn in our class.

[This message has been edited by EPTkd55 (edited 02-17-2005).]