Block or dodge

Posted by: Anonymous

Block or dodge - 01/28/05 03:25 PM

I must admit that I've come to view blocking as a failure of sorts - I feel it is better to sidestep/dodge then counter real quick. What do you guys think? Is blocking a failure and is dodging better?

Re: Block or dodge - 01/28/05 04:36 PM

Evade and block. There is no substitute for doing both just to make sure!

Scott

Re: Block or dodge - 01/28/05 06:09 PM

the best way to avoid an attack is to not be there.

Re: Block or dodge - 01/29/05 09:39 AM

indeed, I think it's for a part a sort of instinct, combined with expierence. I think when your skilled enough you know what to do in the most cases.

Cheers

Re: Block or dodge - 01/29/05 10:36 AM

Evade and parry if you need to. Blocks are offensive countertechniques targeting your opponent's attacking limbs. I like and use them myself, but they're not for everyone.

Re: Block or dodge - 01/30/05 07:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sa Bum Nim:
the best way to avoid an attack is to not be there.[/QUOTE]

Amen. It's important to know how to block, but it should be a last resort. Simply because you are allowing your opponent to hit you and you're betting you can cover the area being hit. Risky. Dodging and counter attacking is better and much more effective, but the best (and by far hardest to learn) is counter attacking faster than your opponent's attack. With ALOT of practice, this is possible even against a faster opponent. Everyone has "Tells". You must learn to read them quickly. Move when they first show one to you. Don't actually wait for their kick/punch to start.

I personally use all three, because having your opponent unsure of what you're going to do is better than any one of the three alone.

Just my own experience. Hope it helps.

Re: Block or dodge - 01/30/05 10:01 AM

i agree with Gem it will make him thnk which is another good thing cuz it causes distraction, 2 ducks with one shot or what ever it is

Re: Block or dodge - 02/12/05 02:21 AM

depends on the situation. against a back kick most definitly dodge but against a punch or front kick block.

block punches because it hurts them instead of you and decreases the chance of them punching with the same arm. dodge kicks becouse it's harder to follow up on some one behind you. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: Block or dodge - 02/12/05 06:38 AM

Dodge.

Why bother blocking when you can be hitting?

Blocks are more of a last resort - You take as much punishment as you are giving out.

I would rather deal it than receive it.

Re: Block or dodge - 02/12/05 09:44 AM

Bruce Lee's veiws on blocking was that by blocking you allow your opponent to set and control the tempo.
Thus the reason he created Jeet Kune Do
(The Way of the Intercepting Fist).

Re: Block or dodge - 02/12/05 05:16 PM

I used to be at a school that had some people wear multiple pads, in order to sparwith closer to real contact without major injury. That was um...educational. As a result, I learned that a good block can still leave you unable to use an arm for further blocking or punching. I also had the pleasure of sparring a shorter practitioner who was highly mobile and could kick like a mule. He seldom got tagged.

As a result, I changed my approach to sparring. My stances are high, I move over the entire ring, never the same direction twice in a row..well, almost never. I now am seldom hit. SaBumNim said it succintly..

It is better to not be there...

Unless your opponent is so weak that you can take their hardest blow with impunity, move!

BTW SaBumNim, I train @ Jung's too.

Re: Block or dodge - 02/20/05 09:47 AM

Depends on the situation. If I am fighting someone who I know can not move me through my blocks, I may want to absorb his shot to be in close enough range to catch him when he plants forward or to trap or parry the limb from very close range. Blocks do not always have to be force against force. Think about it. Your block can be a check at his bicep to stop his punch half way. From the outside of the arm, a knife hand block to the wrist will cause him more pain than you. Think about gunting (sp). Blocking a punch with the elbow or stopping a kick with your knee. The block being in actuality, a damaging strike. A few of these and you will break his knuckles.
So depending on the situation, either can be effective. Believe me, I am all for stepping up the circle after I use my footwork to make you overcommit and miss. I like to use a 45 degree off line step to let someone fly by so that they are right next to me when they miss and in line for a nice, easy punishing shot from a different angle when they plant forward. Both can be used effectively, both have there benefits. It does not have to be one or the other.

Re: Block or dodge - 02/20/05 07:32 PM

i cant really comment on this it just depends on every thign that is happening in the fight i think both are grate due to the fact that if u block correctly u canb infelt a good amount of damage on your oppent but it can also cost some vauble energy that u can use to runaway but at the same time if u doge i can counter alot quicker, i must say that this is avery good topice to comment on just for the fact its also a hard one to decide about

Re: Block or dodge - 02/20/05 08:22 PM

Best defence is not to be there when the attack comes. Think fast move faster.

Re: Block or dodge - 02/21/05 07:46 AM

I was reading the post and was going to say Exactly what Sa Bu Nim said

"Best self defense is Dont Be Their !!"

But for using blocks any good traditional TKD school teaches power to punch kick and block through your apponent/s.

So if your blocking, block with power hit through them so bad they hesitate to throw again !

Re: Block or dodge - 02/22/05 11:11 PM

It's best to dodge, like boxing all combat is a game of inches. In other sports you try to make your opponent miss by as much as possable, in combat sports you make them miss by as little as possable making it easier to counter.

To me the blocking is a last resort, because a lot of times it only leads to more blocking, parrying. Or evading which should have been done in the first place.

Re: Block or dodge - 02/28/05 02:51 PM

You'd be amazed how much more appealing blocks become when you add Hapkido into the picture =)