New school?

Posted by: Anonymous

New school? - 01/26/05 01:43 PM

Hi i have posted a thread a while back about my amster being a pot head, and my mom took me out and know im looking for a new school, and i was wondering how many schools should i check out before deciding.My mom is kinda pushing me into choosing one fast shes always bitch'n about it so i have 5 days to decide if i wont to go there.and i think shes jumping the gun to fast.

O.K. he teaches olympic style,i like Traditional cuz of more speed then the power i know i have the power
Hes not a part of WTF or ITF hes independent
his belts go: white high white yellow high yellow green high green blue high blue red high red then black. i think the belt system is weird but what ever, and you only get to test for your next belt 1 or 2 times a year.
and its the first school i have checked out.

Your help will be greatly appreciated!
THANKS ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: New school? - 01/26/05 03:58 PM

So let me get this right...cos Im confusled here...your mum has took you out of one place and is kinda being a bit hasty putting you in another. Hmm, out of frying pan into the fire. Is your mum checking these places out?

I would get your yellow pages (or whatever regional directory thing you have where you live) and look at what other TKD places are around. Im sure there has to be at least 3.

I know your mum is eager to get you into another place, but once in a new place it could be that you hate it there. Have you done any free lessons to try it out? Does your mum know any people who have their kids train there?

I think the grading is a bit spaced out. I get graded every 3 months, but we get asked if we are ready for it.

Ask some friends at school pal!

Scott

Re: New school? - 01/27/05 03:52 PM

I agree. I don't know how you can tell if you like a school or not without at least trying it out. If you don't like it, will the owner allow you to just leave or will you be held to a contract like so many schools do. Seems like a big decision to rush it.