need help

Posted by: Anonymous

need help - 01/18/05 06:23 AM

hi im new to this forum...have some questions bout sparring what i practice in sparring drills dun seem to work...some of my fades seem to be ineffective any advice?

Re: need help - 01/18/05 11:50 AM

Hi zapper,

I'm a sparring instructor and would be glad to help you if I had a clue as to what you just said. Please try to be a little more specific and ALOT clearer in what you're asking.

"sparring drills dun seem to work"
What sparring drills are you doing?

What's a fades???

Re: need help - 01/18/05 01:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zapper:
hi im new to this forum...have some questions bout sparring what i practice in sparring drills dun seem to work...some of my fades seem to be ineffective any advice?[/QUOTE]

drills arnt working because ur not supposed to use them in practice sparring for two reasons one drills have a patteren two them and two if ur working with other people in ur class they already know that pattern after two to three motions they know exactly what ur gonna do make ur own combos keep them guessing dont fade away unless u have to because fades make u slower get in and get out if u stand two far back they cant hit u if u stand two close they cant hit u strong if u stand two to four feet from them ur gonna get drilled use ur interseptions a dont let them open a combo line on u when u sparr look him in his eyes or watch him move that is the two best ways to know what hes gonna do next or she if ur just starting i suggest u watch his eyes
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: need help - 01/19/05 07:14 PM

of course they know what you are going to do if its a set pattern...that is exactly why it is SET in the first place.
in tkd i always used to jam them with a side kick when they move in, timing is important in doing this, but it works most of the time, because you intercept their movement and they can't move out of the way fast enough, of course you must also be at a distance to facilitate it. energy can only move in one direction at a time so once they commit to moving in on you, they cannot change it easily or quickly.
if by sparring drills you are referring to one or three step sparring (i am assuming this is so)...i dont think they were meant to teach all out sparring, or "non set" sparring, or you would not need to do free sparring, but you do so let that be your teacher. one and three step sparring show ideal timing, when and where you would block ideally...that does not mean you can always do it (usually not actually in my opinion)...again i think they were meant more as a basic introduction to sparring, timing, distancing, etc etc...where you will learn the most about sparring is in actuall sparring.

Re: need help - 01/20/05 07:33 AM

oh...right...ok thx guys is faking called a fade?

Re: need help - 01/20/05 07:35 AM

any way i just started sparring...