kukiwon

Posted by: Anonymous

kukiwon - 12/23/04 04:08 PM

So what your telling me is that, there are no other tests to perform, or certain amount of tournaments to participate in, or time to wait ( other than waiting for your paperwork from Korea ) in order to recieve a wtf certification once you become a black belt from a school? If the master of our school is not wtf certified, does he have to get another master who is wtf certified to have my son wtf certified, or that comes only from Korea? I dont understand how this works. A black belt from a school is not necessarily wtf, just a black belt from that school and then you have to get wtf, or the black belt and wtf is the same? what is kukiwon

Re: kukiwon - 12/23/04 04:21 PM

Many schools are not affiliated with anybody and grade people to black belts. Only a certified WTF instuctor can test another to that level. Within our WTF system, you must be a 3rd Dan or higher to grade others to a blackbelt status. It would not make sense for a 1st Dan to promote another to the same level, though some may not agree with this. No more then I as a 3rd gup would promote anybody below me. I've went through the levels but I don't know enough.

We've had people come to our school and though they were blackbelts from an independent, they still had to start at white belt and be tested by a certified WTF instructor ... grant it they usually go through the system extremely quick.

And yes, our certification (certificate) comes directly from Korea.

Re: kukiwon - 12/24/04 01:37 AM

And to what benefit does it do to send them back to white belt? What does a White belt stand for? I run an Independant TKD school, and i won't join ANOTHER organization that tells me what i have to spend my money, time and everything else on. If someone comes to my school from somewhere else, i will HONOR their rank, just have to make sure thay are proficient enough for their rank. Sad everyone won't work like that.

Also, I was told that i need to send in for my Kukkiwon certificate. Only 500 bucks for them to send me a marble certificate. No thanks!

I guess to theWTF, I am a white belt?

Re: kukiwon - 12/24/04 02:11 AM

As far as I now to be eligible for WTF certification you need to have been learning for a year and to have been nominated for a black belt from a suitably high level (I think 4th dan) certified taekwon do master. For higher level certification the requirements are more stringent, as at 4th level you are considered a sabomnim or master and I think 6th is a grand master.

Outside of Korea I am not sure of the exact procedure. In Korea once you have been nominated by your taewon do school you have to take an independant test. Because of the sheer numbers at lower levels the test consists of
1 The poomse for your current level and at least one other poomse selected at random,
2 A kicking test where you have to perform the kicks you are required to be proficient 3 A sample of sparring technique. This is non-contact and the two candidates alternately perform a series of 2-4 kicks (usually), as (*it seems to me*) the point is not sparring but the ability to combine kicks in an effective manner and evade.

There is no guarantee you will pass though, you must achieve at least a 60% grade on all aspects of the test and you wait 3 months for the results.

If you have had previous experience in taekwon do within another organisation and wish to apply for a WTF certification you need to submit a biography of your taekwon do career with supporting documentation from your senior instructors (a paraphrase of my WTF taekwon do text book)

Some of my details may be a little off but you can always check the English Kukkiwon site

Re: kukiwon - 12/24/04 08:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MHendersonTKD:
And to what benefit does it do to send them back to white belt? What does a White belt stand for? I run an Independant TKD school, and i won't join ANOTHER organization that tells me what i have to spend my money, time and everything else on. If someone comes to my school from somewhere else, i will HONOR their rank, just have to make sure thay are proficient enough for their rank. Sad everyone won't work like that.

Also, I was told that i need to send in for my Kukkiwon certificate. Only 500 bucks for them to send me a marble certificate. No thanks!

I guess to theWTF, I am a white belt?
[/QUOTE]

Those that have come from independents did have to start at a white belt level, but this is only because they must learn our system as not all system are the same thing. As I stated earlier, most move fairly quickly through the system. For instance a student (now friend) who came to our class was a black belt from an independent. He started at white belt and on his first test he did everything up to the blue belt red stripe (3rd gup). On his second test he went to red belt black stripe (1st gup). If he could have he would have tested to this point on the first test but he did not feel confident enough and was quite tiring. AND just to let you know, he was not charged for his testing.

We honor other black belts but to receive a WTF certified black belt you must first know all of the requirements. And again, not all systems are the same so hence starting at a white belt.

If you were to visit our school, you would be honored as a black belt and would be respected as such and could train as such. Please take no offense

[This message has been edited by Dereck (edited 12-24-2004).]

Re: kukiwon - 01/22/05 02:03 PM

The kukkiwon aside from the physical location in Korea is a governing body of Tae Kwon Do world wide. There are representatives from many countries that actually server as officers. Typically people that come in from other schools of like styles are evaluated according to the rank they have. I have experienced both. I was promoted to 2nd Dan under another school and federation and went to another school. Grand Master Rose evaluated me over the course of a couple of weeks and determined that my rank was appropriate. He never stated anything about going back to white belt. There is some evidence of corruption in the WTF as well as the U.S. branches of the federation. There are several independent schools that I know of that are very talented and in some cases have more difficult requirements than the WTF. Typically the big deal with being WTF certified it related to Olympic style competition because only WTF black belts were allowed to compete. This is being challenged legally and with good reason. Evaluating someone that comes to your school is necessary from a business standpoint because quality output brings in more students. Poorly skilled blackbelts wearing the name of your school of federation has obvious impact. Any way a black belt deserves respect from any school or style unitl they have proven otherwise. As does any other student as well. FYI Grand Master is 8th Dan or higher. 6th and 7th Dans are Senior Masters. 4th and 5th Dans are master instructors.