Leg Injury

Posted by: Anonymous

Leg Injury - 12/02/04 06:04 AM

Ok first thing first, let me tell you about my background. Im 19 yrs old, and started taekwondo when I was 9 yrs old, then stopped, then continue again when I was 14 yrs old, then got my probationary blackbelt at age 16, and then stopped. Im turning 20 soon so its been 5 years since i stopped. Well I just got back in taekwondo almost 2 months now, and man im really rusty, but i got most of my flexibility back, i can kick high again. And last night, when i was doing fast front snap kicks in the air, all of a sudden there was a loud *POP*. It hurts bad, and now I cant even lift my left leg up but i can walk though, i dont know if i pulled my hamstring but the pain comes from the upper part of my hamstring, just a little bit under the butt. And right now it doesnt hurt, but ONLY when i try lifting it i cant even lift it higher than knee level, i tried doing hamstring stretch but it kills me. So do you guys have any ideas what this could be? Is it serious? How could it be treated. Thanks
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Leg Injury - 12/02/04 08:14 AM

elite, glad to hear your getting back into it. Heres my backround, I recieved a BB in shotokan when i was 14 and recieved a orange belt in chinese Kenpo when i was 15.I stopped doing everything due to other sports i have just recently went into TKD and friday just tested for my orange belt and received my rank on monday i am 35yrs old.

as far as your leg goes when something like that first happens you need to ice it for 24hours off and on. After then heat 10min on 10 off. You can also take an anti inflamatory 2x a day.If the pain is sharp you should not try to do anything with that leg for a few weeks. A sharp pain is most likely a tear, either that or you tore a bunch of the fibers due to not being warmed up enough. Even though it was only a front kick. Believe me at 35 i know how most of that feels LOL. I have bad hips and a bad back. Streching correctly is very very important even at your age.

Hope i didnt ramble too much

scott