difference between WTF and ITF?

Posted by: Anonymous

difference between WTF and ITF? - 11/08/04 12:53 PM

whats the major difference between WTF and ITF? do they teach different techniques? is one better then the other? i have no idea.

Re: difference between WTF and ITF? - 11/08/04 01:39 PM

Manifesto,

Starting with your last question, I don't think one branch is better than the other, they are different.

I belong to the WTF branch, I know that our patterns are different than the ITF patterns, then again there are patterns that my school does,within WTF, that are different than other schools.

Based on the numerous threads and independent searches on the net no one school, let alone branch seem to follow the same curriculum. They are similar but different.

The biggest difference that I have seen lies in the way the ITF performs their patterns. The breathing rhythms are different, the stances a bit deeper (front stance versus walking stance).

Much emphasis is often made by ITF members that WTF is more sport than art. While it is true, the only way to compete in the Olympics is through a WTF affiliated school, my particular school does not heavily promote that. My instructor often points out that if you strictly follow the fighters regimen and ignore the art, you will have nothing to turn to in MA once your fighting days are over.

[This message has been edited by tkddad (edited 11-08-2004).]
Posted by: Christiancadet

Re: difference between WTF and ITF? - 11/08/04 01:45 PM

ITF= very simular to shotakon/Tang Soo Do, primarily North Korean, founded by General Choi to spread TKD farther than the KTA

WTF= more South Korean, created to bring SK olympic glory, founded by SK students of Choi and other Kwans

Re: difference between WTF and ITF? - 11/08/04 02:24 PM

Years ago our WTF club was allowed to attend a tournament that was ITF. After only a few short matches we were unable to compete any further. One of the main differences was that the ITF did not practice full contact sparring like WTF but rather touch sparring for points.

One of my instructors made a comment that ITF in her opinion put more emphasis in there patterns and were much nicer.

I personally don't have an opinion as I don't know enough about it. BUT I think neither is better then the other and all is good!

Re: difference between WTF and ITF? - 11/09/04 04:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dereck:
One of the main differences was that the ITF did not practice full contact sparring like WTF but rather touch sparring for points. [/QUOTE]
Depending on the organisation and the tournament organisers; ITF has a number of different competetive sparring types.
Point-Stop (as you've mentioned), Light Continuous, Semi-Contact and Full-Contact, all using hand as well as foot techniques, not primarily foot techniques as does the WTF style. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Take care,

Gaffer.
Posted by: Christiancadet

Re: difference between WTF and ITF? - 11/09/04 03:45 PM

I am so glad I am in a Independent TKD association school.

Re: difference between WTF and ITF? - 11/14/04 02:24 PM

The difference is the WTF is better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: difference between WTF and ITF? - 11/28/04 05:36 PM

Hmm, fight...fight...fight... You must be quite young cos u have grossly overused the ! and that makes u gay! hehe. Wanna fite about it, come on then. hehe.

Peace

Scott