favorite side

Posted by: Anonymous

favorite side - 09/15/04 01:52 PM

Here's another question from an interested newbie.

Is it better to favor one side of your body over the other? I would still train both sides, but is it more effective to favor one hand/foot.

I'm naturally right-handed in a right-handed world, but I was inspired by a character in a Salvatore book (Drizzt, he's super-cool) to work out both sides of my body and actually concentrate more on the left.

As I stand now, my reflexes/instincts still favor my right. Since I'm still new to Tae Kwon Do, my reflexes are going to be very impressionable. I'm very interested in what people have to say. So, should I trust nature's choice or take a more idealistic route?
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: favorite side - 09/15/04 01:59 PM

One of the worst things you could do is try emphasising your training on one side only. On the other hand, one of the BEST things you could do is train both sides (which you will, you do have an option in that), and even better, train HARDER on your non-dominant side.

Just like with your upper extremities, you have a dominant side to you lower extremities. Usually if your right handed, it'll be your right leg, etc.

To be effective at any martial art, you have to be able to deliver fast, powerful techniques from any limb. Start bringing your non-dominant side up to speed now, and you'll be thankful later.

Re: favorite side - 09/15/04 02:17 PM

Good point MM. My instructor is very good about practising both sides.

I've noticed that dominance is usually determined by your leg movements, because your legs are the base for the rest of your body.

Still, I was talking more about sparring/real life fighting. Should I be trying to spar right hand forward?
(I remembered mentioning that I could still train both sides)

Further comments are welcome.
Posted by: Christiancadet

Re: favorite side - 09/15/04 02:28 PM

I always found that the leg opposite the dominant hand is the better one. It is also usually more flexible. EDIT I know both legs are really important, you can't do a double roundhouse with one.

[This message has been edited by Christiancadet (edited 09-15-2004).]

Re: favorite side - 09/15/04 04:12 PM

If you spar only one side forward, what happens when you injure that side?

Learn both stances, right and left. Don't be one dimensional. You'll get torn apart by anyone good in sparring.

Re: favorite side - 09/16/04 12:56 PM

Spar with your bad side now, then when you're in competition or in a street fight you won't be in for any nasty surprises.

Re: favorite side - 09/17/04 01:06 PM

I guess we're all idealists at heart.

Alright, I'll take your advice. Thanks for the opinions, I was going mostly on my own intuition (I know, that's bad).