Throw down

Posted by: Anonymous

Throw down - 09/07/04 11:19 PM

Hi,

I'm basically a Taekwondo practitioner of 10 years who participated in a wushu sanshou (san-da) competition last week. I got the crap beat out of me. Sanshou is like kickboxing, minus the knee, elbows & head butting. I lost in terms of throwdown. I kept scoring & then getting thrown down when my opponent hooks an arm around my neck. My question is: how do i avoid being thrown down or caught besides playing distance? What basics/technique/martial arts shld i learn up to counter this? i have an ACL tear on my knee so i cant do leg sweeps by the way.
Appreciate the help

Re: Throw down - 09/08/04 08:38 AM

Judo and Jui-jitsu techniques both counter this type of takedown. In jiu-jitsu, your first defense is to establish a good and strong (foot) base, feet slightly wider than shoulder width, knees slightly bent; sort of like surfing), once established, look into sweeping (not hook, otherwise you'll most likely go down too (although in Jiu-jitsu this is the goal)) your opponents closer leg with your back leg, then go for the sweep. If executed correctly, your opponent will hit the mat first.
I'm sure there are other methods, but it's a start.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Throw down - 09/08/04 01:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hungheykwun:
Hi,

I'm basically a Taekwondo practitioner of 10 years who participated in a wushu sanshou (san-da) competition last week. I got the crap beat out of me. Sanshou is like kickboxing, minus the knee, elbows & head butting. I lost in terms of throwdown. I kept scoring & then getting thrown down when my opponent hooks an arm around my neck. My question is: how do i avoid being thrown down or caught besides playing distance? What basics/technique/martial arts shld i learn up to counter this? i have an ACL tear on my knee so i cant do leg sweeps by the way.
Appreciate the help

[/QUOTE]

Why are you competing in that style anyway, stick to TKD if your going to compete. If you want to compete in other styles you better do your homework before you step in the ring....as you well found out. Better brush up on non point style fighting, it's a whole new ball game.

Re: Throw down - 09/08/04 01:20 PM

schanne: hungheykwun is just looking for some advise to counter his opponent. I don't think he needs to explain why he's participating in that style of competition.

** not intended to be a flame, plese don't take it that way.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Throw down - 09/08/04 01:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TacoBill:
schanne: hungheykwun is just looking for some advise to counter his opponent. I don't think he needs to explain why he's participating in that style of competition.

** not intended to be a flame, plese don't take it that way.
[/QUOTE]

Your correct but my point was that if you have no expirence fighting in that style "without proper instruction years of it" why compete unless your just want to test your skills. Would the majority of the ring fighters here fight TDK point system, I don't think so. Usually each style fights his own. That's just my opion, the JJ guys fight JJ, the Muy Thai fight Muy Thai, Judo to Judo, MMA " " and so on. I know he doesn't need to explain why he is fighting in that style but I'm just curious why he did. No flam'n here either just trying to help.

Re: Throw down - 09/08/04 11:15 PM

thx for your replies esp tacobills
i learn alot frm this forum..
there is no law saying that if u practise one m/art, u can only compete in that art solely.
i did my homework but apprarently it wasnt enough. but it was only by participating in other styles that i can find weakness in my own styles & improve. so now i know i really **** at throwing. my bad knee gives me a disadvantage at getting a stable stance for throwing. i would like suggestions to avoid throwing if possible.
thanks