AAU??

Posted by: Anonymous

AAU?? - 09/06/04 09:39 AM

My daughters instructor gave her a paper to join the Amateur Athletics Union do you think this would be something good to join? I don't know anything about any of the Unions, Associations, etc. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Oh and as far as medical coverage for anything we join..that isn't a problem because she is covered by medical fully by other medical insurance.

Re: AAU?? - 09/06/04 11:41 AM

Unless your daughter plans on competeting in AAU tournaments, there is no reason for your daughter to join.

If your instructor has another movite, (such as vote getting), then they should inform you of that and then you can make a decision.

But I will tell you that if your daughter DOES want to do an AAU Tournament then she *MUST* be signed up. Talk to the instructor to find out why they want your daughter to be in the AAU.

Then make your decision informed. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Christiancadet

Re: AAU?? - 09/06/04 11:43 AM

I joined the AAU a year ago, and I think that it was a good enough decision for me to renew my membership this year. Main advantage is that you get large national tournaments if you are not already part of an organization that has such.

Re: AAU?? - 09/06/04 11:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Christiancadet:
I joined the AAU a year ago, and I think that it was a good enough decision for me to renew my membership this year. Main advantage is that you get large national tournaments if you are not already part of an organization that has such.[/QUOTE]

USTU does the same. It all depends where you want to compete. Honestly, at the girls age, a national tournament would not be something I would even think about. ESPECIALLY for a white-belt five year old.

But, if the instructor is planing on doing a lot of AAU tournaments (they are, by nature, geared more towards the kids) then membership is mandatory. Only way to find out is to talk to the instructor.