Training tips

Posted by: Anonymous

Training tips - 09/02/04 11:00 PM

Hiya. I've been reading these forums for a few days now, but this is my first time posting, so be nice. Anyways, I've been practicing Tae Kwon Do now for...almost a week, but I want to catch this stuff early. Specifically, I want tips about what people wished they had done early on or problems they had that I should avoid.

One other thing, I'm not all that picky about internet grammar, but please at least use periods. I don't want replies that hurt my eyes to read. Some of the threads I've been to are pretty bad about that.

Re: Training tips - 09/03/04 12:02 AM

The only mistake that you can make is to quit. I started about 10 years ago, climbed all but 4 belts from black and quit. I returned to the art, and had to re-learn everything that I once knew like the back of my hand.

In case you didn't know, "do" refers to the way. You'll find your own way in life and in TKD. Just keep faith in what your doing and training at......DONT QUIT.
Posted by: eternalpunk

Re: Training tips - 09/03/04 01:41 PM

Another thing that might help, is to pay attention to everything that the instructor teaches you. They aren't teaching things just for their health. Something that I still do even though I stopped taking traditional TKD classes is that I make time to stretch everyday. I just sit in front of the t.v. and hold one stretch for 10 minutes then move on to the next. It generally takes me about 2 hours.

Re: Training tips - 09/03/04 04:42 PM

martial arts training always has 2 flaws in my honest opinion (which you asked for so your getting!)

the first being the dump

the dump, as i lovingly call it refers to the adrenaline dump style feelings you may feel after a good experience. TKD is a brilliant art, however it has its highs and lows, mainly due to the fact that the individual learns at a different rate and level to the guy next to you. in other words you might learn a kick straight off and be a natural at it yet cant nail something else. this leads to frustration and sometimes boredom as you hit a slow point where you dont feel your learning.

i have had only a few of these. i was "wonderboy" at my dojang because recently every new spinning kick we get taught i nail it every time straight off (more or less, not pretty but form and function is there), i come home on a high and cant wait to get back to the dojang and get some more! the flipside..thats when maybe a higher grade puts you back in your place, or the technical side takes over for a few lessons.

i hate the lows, but it takes time to appreciate the highs so you have to get through them. for every 5 lows there will 1 high and its that you have to focus on. in time you'll forget the lows as things become natural..it all takes time and focus and concerntrate on what you are becoming not what you are

flaw 2

learning a martial art appears simple and your bodys limits may frustrate you to begin with. hate to sound like a broken record but just stick at it. i wish my legs went where my mind tells them to go but they dont, i wish they did.....but they go to places they couldnt go before i started and thats something im proud of and proves to me that it can only get better.

hope that made sense...so here are my tips:

1. no matter how enthusiastic you get, dont buy everything in the shop that you think will help you, it wont. buy the minimum until your fully aware of what may help you in the long run.

2. listen, rarely will an instructor teach you badly, their reputation rests with you therefore meaning they are teaching you to the best of their ability.

3. never get big headed, theres always someone whos better and no-one likes a smart arse

4. take home what you learn and practice it, a few hours a week in a dojang does not a master make, improve at home and use the dojang to perfect it...you spend more time learning that way and less going over the same old thing.

simple exercises at home (pushups, situps etc) to strengthen your muscles you will always benefit from, then progress to stretching (use the internet for instruction on warm ups and techniques or ask your instructor)

commit things to memory. if youve been shown a pattern for eg then go away and get it picture perfect, learn beyond what you need to know if you can, this will make future lessons easier to grasp

ask. if you dont understand ask, if you didnt quite see how it was done ask, if your unsure ask, if you keep getting hit in sparring from a particular move ask. your instructor isnt there for them...they are there for you..i'm not saying pester someone but if you understand something then it will ring clearer in your mind and will help...if you don then you will end up with a poor technique and your TKD experience will be a pain in the ass!

i could go on and on, but there are only so many things you can be told. i asked the same questions when i began and no one gave me the answers, i can give you the insight but no answers either which is something i understand now.

so basically channel your enthusiam. if you know you want your legs to be able to kick head height, understand that you have to concerntrate on how they get there. gifts like that arent handed out in dojangs...they are found only by streching and working at home

i wish you luck, i am reasonably new to the art but by no means a beginner, however weve all been where you are now.

stay focused, listen, learn and have patience

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Re: Training tips - 09/03/04 05:29 PM

Train everyday. Strech everyday, practice basics and practice your kicks the same kind of kick over and over again with out putting it down. that will help with balence. just remember strech everyday for atleast 25 min, it will get alot easier the more you do it. IF u train at home just practice your form once or twice, a few kicks and punchs. even though it isnt alot it helps alot. TRAIN HARD!

Re: Training tips - 09/03/04 10:03 PM

Good advice all.

Thanks lots, I think I get the gist of what you're all saying.