New to Tae Kwon Do

Posted by: Anonymous

New to Tae Kwon Do - 09/01/04 01:53 PM

Hello. This is my frist time posting at this message board. I am starting to take Tae Kwon Do for the first time. I have no martial arts background whatsoever. Could you give me any tips?
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: New to Tae Kwon Do - 09/01/04 02:56 PM

Don't block with your face, hit more than you get hit. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: yasha hime

Re: New to Tae Kwon Do - 09/01/04 08:07 PM

It can be hard at first, hard to get used to remembering all the steps of a pattern, to get used to doing so much exercise as your fitness may not be so good, to get use to fighting with another person.

My advice to you is: practice.

Not just in the dojang but at home. Practice your forms in the backyard, practice your kicks on a punching bag. Practice everything.

I remember when I was a white belt, I couldn't remember basic form (only 16 steps!) for months. Now days I can learn a form in one training session. You will get better at everything as well, but it does take time.

Good luck [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Yasha Hime
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: New to Tae Kwon Do - 09/02/04 09:33 AM

Couldn't agree more Yasha Hime,

If you train hard at the dojang, then do just a little work everyday at home, then you'll get a lot more out of Tae Kwon Do. You don't need to do much at home, just run through the patternsa couple of times everyday, which takes maybe 2 minutes, and you'll remember them better.

Personally I can spend half an hour going through one pattern, because it helps me to understand the movements of the rest of tae kwon do.

I would also advise just doing some general fitness stuff. Tae Kwon Do is basically a power sport, so do some sprinting. You can do a bit of long distance running, but I would focus more on recovery times. Don't buy ankle weights, infact don't buy anything you don't absolutely need. I have a pair of good running shoes and access to my school's gym, and that's all I need.