TKD Korean Pen Names

Posted by: GriffyGriff

TKD Korean Pen Names - 08/25/04 04:28 AM

Pen Names.
A Pen Name was a "Given Name" and not the name they worn born with.
What I would like to know is, what were the meanings of these Pen Names.
Following is a selection of Pen Names:

Do San - Ahn Chang-Ho
Yil Gok - Yi L
Toi Gye - Yi Hwang - ("Returning Stream")
Chung Mu - Yi Sun Sin

If anyone knows the meanins of these Pen Names, I would be very grateful if they could share this info.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by GriffyGriff (edited 08-25-2004).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: TKD Korean Pen Names - 08/25/04 09:08 AM

T'oigye - retreating creek

Yulgok - chesnut valley

Chungmu- Lord of Loyalty and Chivalry

Dosan - Island-mountain

N.B. Obviously with the many nuances and variety of meanings for the korean characters, it is hard to get a definitive answer for you. These are the best definitions I could find.

Both Chungmu and Dosan, recieved their names after they died, also Chungmu, is now the name of the 3rd highest military honour in South Korea.
Posted by: mcmillintkd

Re: TKD Korean Pen Names - 08/11/06 12:03 PM

You might want to look in Ch'ang Hon book. There is an explanation of each form including the history of the names. I do not have the book in front of me at the moment.
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: TKD Korean Pen Names - 08/15/06 09:38 PM

Chung Mu means loyalty, chivalry, it was a title given to him after his death. He was one of Koreas' greatest military heros. In fact, to this day, The ROKorea's 3rd highest medal for military service is named after his honorary title.
Posted by: clmibb

Re: TKD Korean Pen Names - 09/04/06 08:59 PM

Thats a good question...i'm going to do a little research now. It wasn't anything i really thought about until now.

Re: TKD Korean Pen Names - 09/04/06 10:39 PM

ok i've done some research and here is what i've come up with, if i'm wrong blame the internet not me. Ahn Chang Ho's penname was dosan but didn't get much further than that so i'll try to keep digging on that one. Yi I (not L) means Chestnut Valley. Yi Hwang pennamed Toi Gye means Retreating Creek. the closest thing i could find on Yi Sun-Sin's penname was chung-mu.the closest thingi could find was that it might mean fleet admiral. i checked on wikipedia.com good source to find off the wall and hard to find answers like this.

Re: TKD Korean Pen Names - 09/05/06 01:38 AM

I thought ToiGye meant - returning stream

Re: TKD Korean Pen Names - 09/05/06 09:24 AM

creek and stream could be the same word in korean and two different people translated the word. I could also see how retreating and returning could be translated to the same word too. here i think this is where i got retreating creek/stream from, not real sure though it was kinda late and i was tired http://www.ams.ubc.ca/clubs/taekwondo/index_files/Toi-Gye.htm

Re: TKD Korean Pen Names - 09/05/06 09:25 AM

i also ran across where toi gye meant returning to the valley. guess its all in who traslates the name.

Re: TKD Korean Pen Names - 09/05/06 08:29 PM

Thanks for the link.

Re: TKD Korean Pen Names - 09/05/06 08:52 PM

Sure anytime! Like I said earlier though I had a hard time finding Dosan. Some of the pages I looked at were almost using it like it was part of his name calling him Dosan Ahn Chang Ho. If you run across what Dosan means let me know it has my curiosity built up now.
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: TKD Korean Pen Names - 09/06/06 10:16 AM

Wow This one is Yonks old.

Ahn Chang Ho: Do-San (Island Mountain)
Yi L: Yil Gok (Valley of Chestnuts)
Yi Hwang: Toi Gye (Returning Stream)
Yi Sun Sin: Chung Mu (Lord or Loyalty and Chivalry)

Yi Sun Sin had 2 Pen Names: Dok Sau (wish for a long Life) the Pen Name Chung Mu was awarded to him postumously in 1643 (The Order of Chung Mu is the 3rd Highest Distinguished Korean Milatary Medal).

Thought I'd better add this lot, just in case.

Re: TKD Korean Pen Names - 09/20/06 01:04 AM

Quote:

Wow This one is Yonks old

Is "Yonks" a unit of measure? Never heard the word. I've heard "over yonder" and many other older Southern phrases but never Yonks! HEHEHE I'm going to go out of my way now to use that word! thanks Griffy

Re: TKD Korean Pen Names - 02/20/07 10:40 PM

Does anyone know the translation or meaning of:
Po Eun
Eui Am
Choong Chang
So San

I could not find anything on them.

Re: TKD Korean Pen Names - 02/21/07 11:20 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know the translation or meaning of: