Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Sparred, still tired during fight - 08/15/04 12:35 PM

Yes.

Spar more.
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: Re: Sparred, still tired during fight - 08/15/04 12:49 PM

The answer:

Interval Training.

Combine Sparring and bag work along with some roadwork into one interval training routine.

Do a little research into interval training, I think it will be worth it. Remember, you want your training to be as close to your actual sport as possible.

EDIT: Here are some useful sites to get you started. Enjoy!

source: http://www.worldtaekwondo.com/trainingtips.htm

[QUOTE]
Tae Kwon Do Interval Training

Tae Kwon Do is a very demanding sport. You must be in very good shape physically to master it. I like to stay in shape by doing some type of aerobic workout 3-4 times a week. I generally like to run 4 times a week for a total of 12-15 miles per week. I understand 15 miles per week is good number to shoot for. You get most of the benefits at this point. After 15 miles per week, the benefits go down and injuries go up, knees etc. We are talking Tae Kwon Do here, so unless you are training for a race, I would stay less than 15 miles per week.

Running can be a little monotonous and still may not get you in shape for sparring. So I started a training program of interval training to complement my running program. This is a high intensity workout consisting of 10 rounds of 2-3 minutes with 1-minute rest between each round using basic to intermediate sparring techniques. For example, in round 1, I do front-leg and rear-leg front kicks. In round 2, front-leg and rear-leg roundhouse kicks. In round 3, inside and outside crescent kicks. In round 4, I switch to hand techniques, such as, jabs, punches, backfist, etc. Continue this for the remaining rounds choosing any techniques you like, such jumping kicks; spin kicks, side kicks, combinations, or anything you want. Be creative, have fun and do not forget to warm-up and cool down before and after this workout.

I use this interval training program to compliment and enhance my regular training program, but this routine would be good to use for getting in great sparring conditioning. To keep in good cardiovascular fitness I recommend this workout or any aerobic workout 3-4 time a week. What I like most about this workout program is that it has the extra benefit of sharpening your Tae Kwon Do techniques while also increasing your cardiovascular fitness. The best way to get better at kicking is to do a lot of kicking.

Paul Fairless
2nd Dan Black Belt (WTF)[/QUOTE]
http://www.aautaekwondo.org/TrainingTips/TTcompetition.htm
http://www.cyberdiet.net/exer/exarticles/ex1397.html

[This message has been edited by DragonFire1134 (edited 08-15-2004).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Re: Sparred, still tired during fight - 08/16/04 05:46 AM

I think interval training is very effective, for improving this sort of fitness. Also, take up basketball, the way the game plays is very similar to sparring, with alot of anaerobic periods, with short aerobic intervals.

You are getting tired because you're recovery rate is low. This is how quickly you recover from an oxygen debt built up when you are doing anaerobic activity in the spar. To get over this, interval training is very good, as well as doing something like 5 sets of press-ups or sit ups etc, with a minute gap in between. You decrease the interval over time, and this will increase your recovery rate.

Hope this helps