Taekwondo Contract--Help Needed

Posted by: Anonymous

Taekwondo Contract--Help Needed - 08/01/04 11:47 AM

I need some help. I've been studying TKD for about six months. I was stupid and an idiot, and I signed a contract. I pay $160/month for this thing, and I honestly feel I'm not learning. I mean, I know forms and stuff, but for me, martial arts should be about self-defense and a deep understanding of yourself. This isn't working for me.

Can you guys think of any way I can ask them to cancel my contract?

I could really use some advice on this.

Thanks.
Searcher

Re: Taekwondo Contract--Help Needed - 08/01/04 06:19 PM

i would make sure you read every inch of the contract and look for a get out clause. if theres not an obvious one then maybe present your grievance to the governing council of the form your studying.

then find a dojang that doesnt require contracts.

sounds to me...on a very loose observation...that your instructor is maybe not good enough or confident enough to be able to keep their students therefore has to pin them to a contract.

contracts can be legally binding, unless a higher power (such as a governing council) interveens....but even then a contracts a contract

hope you get it sorted, and TKD CAN be what your looking for....you just need the correct instructor

Re: Taekwondo Contract--Help Needed - 08/18/04 01:09 AM

Hi Searcher,
Well, while I am not a big advocate of canceling contracts - I would be a hipocrite if I said I've never done what you wish to do as I had to do it last week. Consider is it that you haven't spent enough time at the school? Evalauate your reasons before taking action.
If you do decide that this school is not for you: one thing you can do is simply tell the instructor that you have no interest in continuing to go to class. Do this politely, but you have to be firm and unwavering if you really don't like your school. I felt like I was betraying my instructor, but ultimately, it was me who had to pay for the classes I didn't want to go to anymore. Some instructors won't let you come to class if you don't have the dedication and they can tell that you don't want to be there. Good instructors will see that you are a reflection of their school. Another thing you could do is find someone who knows the law and see what items can be enforced and what can't. That was the route I ultimately had to go. For me, I told them that I was not going to go back and they had to stop charging my account. If they had a problem with that, then they could speak with my lawyer. You actually have to be prepared to back that up though and not make threats because sometimes people may/may not call a bluff..
Overall, consider your motives, loyalties. Personally, it has to take a lot to get me to consider leaving a contract that I agreed to because I gave my word. However, if it doesn't feel 'right', may good sense and wisdom guide you to what is right.

Girlfighter

Re: Taekwondo Contract--Help Needed - 08/18/04 02:18 AM

Searcher,

Is your name Sarah?

Plus...good luck with the contract. What area of the world are you in? Maybe I can help.

Girlfighter, Email me (if you would be so kind)
Posted by: Lokkan-Do

Re: Taekwondo Contract--Help Needed - 08/24/04 05:59 PM

Or maybe tell the instructor that you like doing beautiful forms, but you would like to see some practical applications now.

Next time you'll learn to read the contract first...they put things in fine print for a reason.. (to trick you)..
Posted by: cxt

Re: Taekwondo Contract--Help Needed - 08/24/04 06:17 PM

Most contacts have some sort of termination agreement.

Can't force you to keep paying forever.

You might have a sit down with the instructer, go over exactly why the class is not meeting your needs.

Perhaps he can fix it for you.

Guys that push contracts somethimes forget that a contract cuts BOTH ways.

They are required to render service, just how much and to what level depends on the specifics of the contract.

But a contract is as much for you as him.

Spells out exactly what each party is going to do--and if they are NOT doing it, then that can be a reason to break the contract.

A good teacher should be willing to let you out of a contract.

Might cost you a termination fee, but that is better than $160 per month.

Re: Taekwondo Contract--Help Needed - 08/25/04 06:07 AM

we prepaid a 3 yr contract for my son so we could be discounted. can get out if we move over 30 miles away or have a doctors note. horrible school. money grubbing belt factory.