TKD katas continued.....

Posted by: Anonymous

TKD katas continued..... - 07/22/04 03:02 AM

I didn't want to continue this discussion under the Hand Strikes forum, because it was so far off that topic. So this is just hopefully keeping those conversations going about the different styles of TKD.

Qoute:

justpityme,As for you greg.... their After Choong Moo is Kwang Gae, Po-un, Gaebaek and my instructor wont even teach me Gaebaek and i really wanna learn it.
UnQoute.

Why wont he teach you? Im sure he has to have some reason, right? My teacher has to learn Bassai-Dai to earn a second degree.(Random Thought, I know).

What are ATA, WTA, and ITA initials for?

Re: TKD katas continued..... - 07/22/04 03:17 AM

i dont know why he wont teach me he told me to wait. therefore ill wait... and ATA is American Taekwondo Association ive known that for awhile because the main office for them was down the street from my house in little rock.
Posted by: Uriel

Re: TKD katas continued..... - 07/22/04 11:08 AM

Few things...

ITA=International Taekwondo Association
WTA=World TKD Alliance
ATA=American TKD Association

Instructors, traditionally don't want to teach (not supposed to teach) forms above the belt level being tested for.
Posted by: Christiancadet

Re: TKD katas continued..... - 07/22/04 11:23 AM

ITA also = Independent TKD association. Awards BB ranks through the Kukkiwon like the USTU (United States TKD Union, a branch of the WTF) but it's color belt ranks usually don't come from outside the org to save on fees. Only real advantage to it is that there are no student fees from the org.

Re: TKD katas continued..... - 07/22/04 01:02 PM

See some of the most confusing things is ITA does stand for both.

Not only that but in places ITA and ITC started to become interchangable and then ITF and ITC started to become the same.

So not even some national bodies are the same from place to place. IF that makes sense at all. A lot of that has to do with schools that were ITF going "Damn ITC is offering a better deal" then going to them, then flip flopping back.
Posted by: Christiancadet

Re: TKD katas continued..... - 07/22/04 10:48 PM

nm

[This message has been edited by Christiancadet (edited 07-22-2004).]

Re: TKD katas continued..... - 07/24/04 08:07 PM

Ok, so I've narrowed my style down.... what I've seen is the term Tul. All my katas have this after them also. So is my style taekwondo tul, or how would that be stated? Or are the forms that I practice just called the Tul forms? Hopefully someone will know the answer to this, if so, thank you.

Quote: "I.T.F. has 24 patterns (or Tul)"
Quoted from http://www.barrel.net/patterns.php

[This message has been edited by OklahomasGreg (edited 07-24-2004).]
Posted by: kiwi

Re: TKD katas continued..... - 07/24/04 08:17 PM

Tul just means pattern in Korean.

the sapposed reason is it represents the 24 hours of a day.

Re: TKD katas continued..... - 07/24/04 10:17 PM

All the sights and information suggested is very helpfull; but it leads me to another question. Why are there so many variations of the same kata? The way I was tought, and the way I see several katas performed on at least three different videos, and even the way it is drawn out on some diagrams all have the basic foundation, but still miniscule (sp) differences.

So, is this just a result of the information being altered as it is passed down teacher to teacher and are the differences acceptable?

If they're not acceptable, then were would one go to find the traditional kata in it's purest form.

Re: TKD katas continued..... - 07/25/04 03:24 PM

Ever hear of the "telephone" game?

I tell you one thing, you tell someone it...but sometimes slightly different?

Same thing.

I can show you a kata.

10 years from now you might have that kata come into question.

Why?

Well lets say my knees are fused and i can't kick properly. Now you were imitating someone that couldn't do the kicks properly so your kicks look the same.

Or how about...

I show you kata
But you interpret a strike differently. You show your students that.

Sometimes katas are like that.

Basic thing is, there will be differences in the same kata. **** happens [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] If you are really into not changing anything at all, then perhaps being dead suits you better. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Re: TKD katas continued..... - 07/26/04 05:17 PM

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] I guess that will work then