Hi all

Posted by: Anonymous

Hi all - 07/05/04 02:12 PM

Hey I am new here. Been doing taekwondo for almost a year and I have to say I am completely addicted to it. I am looking forward to getting to know you guys and learning a lot. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Hi all - 07/05/04 03:50 PM

Finally someone new comes to the forum and doesn't make an ass of them self in there first post. Welcome.

Re: Hi all - 07/06/04 02:01 PM

Well, I must admit I was a little worried about the mental health of some of ya'll but I think it is okay. Everyone needs a little spark of madness in their life. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: cxt

Re: Hi all - 07/06/04 02:40 PM

Lady Val

I certainly question MY OWN mental health more often than I'd like.

But welcome aboard.

Re: Hi all - 07/06/04 03:51 PM

Welcome Lady. I sometimes question these people's mental health myself.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Hi all - 07/06/04 04:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by neckbreaker:
Welcome Lady. I sometimes question these people's mental health myself. [/QUOTE]

Denying your own status as one of the inmates of the asylum only highlights the deep rooted nature of your illness. You must embrace your insanity, become one with it-then and only then will you truly be free. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG]

Welcome ladyVal, your padded cell and straightjacket await you! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Re: Hi all - 07/06/04 06:09 PM

dont worry, i'm only on my first few posts so am a newbie too.

from what i've observed so far is that as long as respect is held anything goes

so to speak [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: Hi all - 07/06/04 07:57 PM

Well, you rookies will soon learn that anyone who spends a lifetime training in this stuff is definitely crazy! We willingly let others punch at us, kick at us, try to choke us out,... Many of us have used the dreaded head block so many times that we have little sense left. Ya gotta love it!

Re: Hi all - 07/06/04 08:56 PM

I too am addicted to it.

i've been taking it for 5 months.. i love it so much... i go everyday regardless if i'm tired or sick

Re: Hi all - 07/07/04 11:18 AM

Okay, here is my first question. Do ya'll know any kind of practicing technique to improve kicks. Specifically, while doing kicks.

Re: Hi all - 07/07/04 11:19 AM

Sorry got sidetracked, i meant any practicing techniques for balance while doing kicks, lol, guess the mental health thing is true.

Re: Hi all - 07/07/04 11:21 AM

Check out effectivity posting. That's where the secret is. Train at my gym.
Posted by: Uriel

Re: Hi all - 07/07/04 11:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LadyVal:
Sorry got sidetracked, i meant any practicing techniques for balance while doing kicks, lol, guess the mental health thing is true.[/QUOTE]

Do them slow. Real slow. Like you were the 6 million dollar man and showing off for the camera. Then hold the kick for a few seconds and slowly bring it back. You might have to lean against a wall at first, but your balance will come to you.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Hi all - 07/07/04 05:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Uriel:
Do them slow. Real slow. Like you were the 6 million dollar man and showing off for the camera. Then hold the kick for a few seconds and slowly bring it back. You might have to lean against a wall at first, but your balance will come to you.[/QUOTE]

This works pretty well because not only are you training your stabilizer muscles to be stronger and support you better. The repetition is programming the proper mechanics of the kick into your muscle memory. The only down side comes with doing this too long or too much. Once your kicking form is better, shift to working on accuracy, speed and power of your kicks. There are other core exercises that can strengthen the muscles that help provide balance. Any personal trainer can give you several of them. If you want I can e-mail a few.
Posted by: Uriel

Re: Hi all - 07/07/04 08:09 PM

I would say to start out..

2 times a week.

10 reps
5 second holds.

Re: Hi all - 07/07/04 09:16 PM

Thank you guys, this is good stuff, and laf I would appreciate it if you would email me some of those exercises. ladyvalerius@yahoo.com Wish me luck, tomorrow I am testing for my next rank.
Posted by: goldencrane

Re: Hi all - 07/08/04 09:06 AM

There are different techniques and exercises for different kicks, Doing them slow like someone else said is good. You could also use a wall for balance to begin with,place a chair to the side of you and practice kicking over the chair, this works your "chamber" position. Do this kick slow as well.

If you want to practice a roundhouse kick, get close to a wall kinda in a fighting stance, ie..right leg back. when you knee touches the wall extend the kick, again do this slow so not to hurt you foot,toes,knees etc...... once you get this down you could have a partner in front of you they hold a bag and put thier free hand in front of you, just like with the wall, when your knee touches thier hand fire your kick. This drill should help with accuracy,speed and power.

Hope you do well on your test!!!