Korean technique names

Posted by: Anonymous

Korean technique names - 06/25/04 04:34 PM

Why don't anyone in here use Korean names for techniques, hacen't read much martial art stuff in english (or at all), and I can't figure out what the * you are all alking about.
I use names for kicks like tollio chagi, yop chagi, paro yop chagi, ap chagi etc etc. They are the names we use at our school.
I guess you don't learn the korean names. You probably practise what we call "sports Tae Kwon Do" and not traditional Tae Kwon Do (where disciplin, respect etc are very important factors of TKD). :P
Posted by: TKD_USA

Re: Korean technique names - 06/25/04 10:04 PM

Even in the same organization, not all schools teach korean language.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Korean technique names - 06/25/04 10:51 PM

I am not Korean nor do I live in Korea-why do I need to learn Korean names for things?

Why would I use Korean terminology on a website populated by English speakers(or typers)?

So just because I can name things in Korean it means I have discipline,respect and am receiving "quality" training?

One other suggestion, try studying English before you worry about prattling on in Korean. Apparently you haven't mastered it yet.

Re: Korean technique names - 06/25/04 10:53 PM

I sorry you don't understand what the @#$# is being talked about if not in Norwegian or romanized Korean. I use english in my class and when conversing in that language to ensure the most people understand. Not everyone is taught the korean terms for everything. I teach these to students approaching 1st Dan. White belts 10/9th gup have a hard enough time getting used to the dojang environment without not being able to understand what they are told to do. It is much easier to have a new student do a front kick for a front stance, than an ahp chagi in ahp sohgi.

Look at this as a way to improve your language skills.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Korean technique names - 06/26/04 08:25 AM

You should learn the MA aspect of language, no one ever said you had to speak korean. It's not yop Chagi by the way it is as an example, Yup Cha Ki ...side kick.
Posted by: Uriel

Re: Korean technique names - 06/26/04 01:22 PM

Schanne,

Are you an expert in linguistics?

Seriously. You wouldn't believe how many different pronounciations I have heard for Korean words. All from people from Korea.

It's just like any other country. We all have our little twangs/accents.

Plus some sounds in Korean do not appear in English and can be imitated, poorly at that.

Re: Korean technique names - 06/28/04 07:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Uriel:
Schanne,

Are you an expert in linguistics?

Seriously. You wouldn't believe how many different pronounciations I have heard for Korean words. All from people from Korea.

It's just like any other country. We all have our little twangs/accents.

Plus some sounds in Korean do not appear in English and can be imitated, poorly at that.
[/QUOTE]

Of course I'm not a lingquist but at least I can give him the right spelling and pronunciation.
Posted by: ipscshooter

Re: Korean technique names - 06/28/04 02:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by schanne:
You should learn the MA aspect of language, no one ever said you had to speak korean. It's not yop Chagi by the way it is as an example, Yup Cha Ki ...side kick. [/QUOTE]

I've seen quite a few different spellings. A common one for side kick is Yeop Chagi. I don't recall ever seeing Cha Ki for kick. I don't think there is a universal "correct" spelling when translating from Korean to English. I think Chagi is used in Gen. Choi's books (I'll check tonight). If so, that's good enough for me...

Re: Korean technique names - 07/30/04 11:05 AM

Why the h*ll would there be ONE way to spell another character set. I know that in chinese there are at least two commonly used notation forms, wade-giles and pinyin. I assume there are just as many for korean.

Even when you dont count the notation systems, there are still many more spellings, some so that people can read the words more easily. If Xinzhong Zung, is pronounced shinjong tsung, it isn't much to a student not used to pinyin.

Sorry Schanne, but I speak 6 languages, not korean, but I've read the taekwondo terms in 4 languages, and all of them are slightly different. Dammit, do you think the russians spell it the same way? They don't even have the right character set!!
Posted by: goldencrane

Re: Korean technique names - 07/30/04 11:25 AM

OK people, please be more respectful to the other posters. There are ways to get your point across without using profane language.

consider this everyones warning!!!!!!!

Re: Korean technique names - 07/30/04 01:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Supremor:
Why the h*ll would there be ONE way to spell another character set. I know that in chinese there are at least two commonly used notation forms, wade-giles and pinyin. I assume there are just as many for korean.

Even when you dont count the notation systems, there are still many more spellings, some so that people can read the words more easily. If Xinzhong Zung, is pronounced shinjong tsung, it isn't much to a student not used to pinyin.

Sorry Schanne, but I speak 6 languages, not korean, but I've read the taekwondo terms in 4 languages, and all of them are slightly different. Dammit, do you think the russians spell it the same way? They don't even have the right character set!!
[/QUOTE]

Would you talk to me that way in person, I don't think so? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]
I'm only trying to help the guy out with his Korean terminology, sorry it came across the wrong way, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers Mr. six different language speaking guy. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Korean technique names - 07/30/04 02:22 PM

Hang on.

"You probably practise what we call "sports Tae Kwon Do" and not traditional Tae Kwon Do where disciplin, respect etc are very important factors of TKD." So says OgreWolf.

I think learning the actual TECHNIQUE is more important than learning the actual NAME in some language that I don't know. In no way I can think of does your language and the names you call things affect your performance or make your dojang any less credible.

Also, if by "sport" Tae Kwon Do you mean competitive Tae Kwon Do, and you're saying that competitive TKDists have no discipline or respect, you're dead wrong. In fact, I would say it's you without the respect. And as far as discipline goes, they are competitive. To train for competition takes a degree of discipline.

So when it comes down to it, Korean and English, a kick is a kick. A kick is not a name.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Korean technique names - 07/30/04 03:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OgreWolf:
Why don't anyone in here use Korean names for techniques, hacen't read much martial art stuff in english (or at all), and I can't figure out what the * you are all alking about.
I use names for kicks like tollio chagi, yop chagi, paro yop chagi, ap chagi etc etc. They are the names we use at our school.
I guess you don't learn the korean names. You probably practise what we call "sports Tae Kwon Do" and not traditional Tae Kwon Do (where disciplin, respect etc are very important factors of TKD). :P
[/QUOTE]

You seem to equate using korean terms for your techniques as imparting some kind of ethical high ground to your Martial Arts study. The fact that you use this terminology in your school is OK by other practitioners, so why do you feel the need to criticise the people that use their native language for terminology.

You state that you train at a traditional school where discipline, respect etc. are important, suggesting that those who do not train in this manner lack these qualities.

It is interesting that you have come into the forum, suggesting that other people lack discipline, respect etc. as they don't train as you do and swear at them. If this is an example of your idea of discipline, repect, etc. I wouldn't go near your "traditional" school with a barge pole.

You need to learn some basic manners!

JohnL

Re: Korean technique names - 07/31/04 09:24 AM

sorry schanne, I think I'm not used to forum language.

We're always using profane language where I live, so I'm used to thinking of "hell" and "dammit" as colloquial expressions.

So this is my apology, to you and the rest of the posters. I'll try to use more "acceptable" language in the future.

Re: Korean technique names - 07/31/04 09:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Supremor:
sorry schanne, I think I'm not used to forum language.

We're always using profane language where I live, so I'm used to thinking of "hell" and "dammit" as colloquial expressions.

So this is my apology, to you and the rest of the posters. I'll try to use more "acceptable" language in the future.
[/QUOTE]

Rei............... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Korean technique names - 11/23/04 06:52 PM

onyung hasimiga. I have to know the korean
names for the techniques I do for testing.
partially becouse otherwise i can't understand what my instructer wants me to do. and partially becouse I do written tests
on which i have to know terminology.
Posted by: shaman96

Re: Korean technique names - 12/06/04 09:28 PM

well first i study youn wha ryu tkd, it is different but inherently korean. there is something to be said for learning the terms out of respect for the history and culture that has brung it over the years, it is a way of paying respect to those who came before, it honors the old masters and their teachers. now in our dojang we learn the culturally specific names for forms and fighting patterns. we do not usually learn the particular meanings of these words just the names, but it is considered a big part of the respect of the old masters. now sounds like people in here are more interested in sport of tkd not the artand in that case i guess the english terms are just fine. just a word from an observer here, thats the way it seems to me, kinda defeats the name of the forum fighting arts, now doesn't it shaman96