Defending against TKD?

Posted by: Anonymous

Defending against TKD? - 05/31/04 04:06 PM

My friend always gets me with his kicks; he is a 3rd degree blackbelt in TKD...go figure...lol.

Anyhow, i am looking for advice on how to defend against this one particular combo he likes to throw out:

He charges in with a series of low roundhouse kicks so fast that i cannot move out of the way of them (evasion seems to not be an option), and cannot block them (too fast and i can't reach down that effectively to block my shins and lower thigh..lol).

It is his standard set-up method, often finishing me with some other technique...by the time he has charged in with this series of roundhouse kicks my legs and posture are jellied...lol.

He is 6' tall...i am only 5'6"...

Help?
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: Defending against TKD? - 05/31/04 05:27 PM

Rule # 1... don't block low kicks with your hands.

lift your knee up and close the distance. Clinch and throw a few knees or tackle him to the ground and work from there. If your opponent is good at kicking take him out of the kicking range. This way it will put you in a better position.

Kind regards,

Raul
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Defending against TKD? - 05/31/04 07:15 PM

Raul covered it. Attempting to block leg kicks with your hands only sets you up to take a nice shot to the head.
If you can't move away from the leg kicks, I think you need to examine your stance. Why can't you move with any speed?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Defending against TKD? - 05/31/04 07:57 PM

Thanks guys!

I'm not a big kicker myself, i try to close teh gap as soon as possible to get into my striking range (he is not so good with his upper body striking...hehehe).

My stance isn't really the problem as i never assume a fixed stance per say... i stay as mobile as possible.

The problem is he is too damn fast and each one of those "little" kicks is brutally hard...

When i lift my leg to shin block Muay Thai style he just continues entering in switching fomr one leg to the other with his TKD roundhouse kicks knocking me around until he can get a good clear shot through my gaurd.

Once i'm in close i do fine; clinching, striking from the stand-up gaurd, and groundfighting are fine IF i survive those low round kicks at the start.

Frustrating when you know what your opponoent is going to do and he still gets you...lol.

So how do i cover up against kicks that are that low and enter in without geting my legs blasted out from under me?
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: Defending against TKD? - 05/31/04 11:06 PM

Hi Shadow,

Just a guess but could it be that trying to stay mobile you inadvertedly keep yourself in his kicking range?

No matter what you do you will incur a shot to the shin or thigh with those kicks. Your best bet would be to do a "Muay Thai" shin block and counter immediately with a rush for the clinch or punches. Being that he is a 3rd dan in TKD I'm sure he uses his hands to help generate power for his kicks which means his hands are not in the proper position to throw follow up strikes quickly or covers his face properly. Use that to your advantage and exploit it.... let the leather fly.
Posted by: Uriel

Re: Defending against TKD? - 05/31/04 11:08 PM

First reaction?

Stop being a pussy.

Now with that out of the way...

I assume the low rounds are really 45 kicks. Bringing the knee up helps. Turn your body with the knee. Take the elbow down a bit. Make him hit your knee and/or elbow.

You want to take away body kicks? Jam him. Cut into his kicks cutting off the distance.

Don't jam all the time. Sometimes cut out. Sometimes cut in. Sometimes feint. Make him guess.

Fighting is mostly mental (after a certain level of all being equal). It is making the other person do what you want while not doing what they want.
Posted by: Sir5cEntss

Re: Defending against TKD? - 06/01/04 11:00 PM

attack first...both bruce lee and musashi stressed the importance of the first strike...

kick his legs, knees...

jump in with a side flying kick, although he'll probably slip out of range, it will probably screw up his rhythm, especially if he's in the middle of some spins and kicks...

slip in...with your size, you will have a definite advantage inside his kicking range..the best he'll be able to pull off is a crescent kick or an axe kick, but those are easy to deflect with hands.

or trap him, and as you both bounce off, unleash a flurry of kicks...

good luck!
Posted by: FourNobleTruths

Re: Defending against TKD? - 06/07/04 10:35 PM

Dear Shadow_Magus,

Is the guy you're sparing primarily a front leg or rear leg kicker? Either way, as soon as you see any slight indications that he is throwing a kick, counter it with the lead leg. If you guys are fighting opposite stance then maybe you could get an outward sweep to the rear leg or skip in with a front snap kick to the his rear knee.
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: Defending against TKD? - 06/08/04 02:30 AM

Hi Shadow.

What Sir5cEntss stresses is Important. “attack first...both Bruce Lee and Musashi stressed the importance of the first strike...”

From what I can gather, it seems that this guy likes to initiate the attacks and dominate things from early on.
And he has a (possibly), overused favourite Entry Technique. Bad news for him on both counts, but a chance for some fun on your part. If this is a correct assumption, then it means that he is easily read and you can begin to destroy any confidence he has in his favourite techniques.

Have a go a doing this OCCIASIONALLY*:

Visualise his head and both shoulders as being 3 points of a triangle. Whilst loosely focusing on his chest, watch these 3 points for movement. This can give you an early inclination of an intended attack.

Then as soon as you think he is attacking, just jam a fast side kick into his ribs and use it to push him back with a forceful playfulness. DO NOT chamber your side kick, (too slow). Just lift your leg straight up and then pop it in. If he was about to kick you, and you hit him in his thigh or shins, don’t worry. Enjoy watching the pain and frustration in his eyes.

What this type of “Attack into an Attack” does, is it upsets his timing and stops him from building up any useful momentum, whilst making him question the usefulness of his attack. Now, whether you continue your attack into him during his “moment of weakness,” or you let him back off, for another go, is up to you. Remember, you need to develop speed to beat him to his kick.

*This type of technique should not be overused as it can be countered (just like all overused techniques).

Hope this helps. And Enjoy.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Defending against TKD? - 06/09/04 07:25 AM

First things first, what is your expierence in MA, your buddy is 3rd Dan?
Posted by: xcedgeix

Re: Defending against TKD? - 06/09/04 11:38 AM

you must lessen your distance. clinch and fight him in a closer distance. this will minimize his chances of giving you roundhouse kicks. you could also give punches once you lessened the gaps. If his kicks are really low, don't worry 'coz they wont score points concentrate on giving clear and clean kicks maybe you'll have a chance winning through clear points... one more thing make sure to wear groin and shin guards to avoid further injury.
Posted by: xcedgeix

Re: Defending against TKD? - 06/09/04 11:41 AM

if you really can't block it, then why don't you try to be the aggressor or if not you should practice on feinting and counterattacking. turning side kick is a good counterattack if you've got good timing
Posted by: LethalTKD

Re: Defending against TKD? - 06/11/04 12:06 AM

Hey there guys (new here)! Anyway to help you out, if he's throwing low kicks, dont even mind them. (being that he's 3rd dan in TKD) The only reason he throws them is to confuse you or set you up. The reason I say dont mind them is because they are (more that likely) just taps NOT power kicks or kicks worthy of a point. As soon as he throws a round kick (given that you are both standing with right leg back and he's kicking with the right leg) step in with a straight punch to the body(not with the lead hand) OR a simple round kick to the body. By coming forward when he kicks (AS SOON AS HE KICKS) you are taking away his range and forcing him to re adjust or take a shot to the body. :P