Thinking of taking up Tae Kwon Do

Posted by: Anonymous

Thinking of taking up Tae Kwon Do - 05/27/04 12:33 PM

Summers coming up and I'm nearing the end of my GCSEs and wanted to take up a club or something to get into shape and possibly meet new people. I checked local sporting centres and one nearby teaches Tae Kwon Do.

I don't really know much about Martial Arts but I have been thinking for some time to learn some form of self defence. I'm 5'11" and 11stone, I'm not obese but I'd like to shape up a bit, especially in the upper torso area. Also I'd like to improve my ability to meet people, so I thought taking up a 'sport' (Martial Art) may help me to defeat my shyness, or at least get me started along that path.

I wouldn't call myself extremely unfit, but I'm not very atheletic either. Also I'm not the most flexible person so would I be able to start Tae Kwan Do?

I would like to do it once or twice a week and if I like it continue after the summer but would Tae Kwan Do be appropriate for me? As much as I'd like to learn self defence it is also important for me to get into shape. I go to the gym occasionally but I thought Tae Kwon Do may be a different approach.

Thanks for any advice you can give me [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG].
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: Thinking of taking up Tae Kwon Do - 05/27/04 12:45 PM

You can't go wrong with practiscing a MA. You'll regret not starting earlier!

If you like what is taught, then it is for you, I recommend a dojo that teaches self defense, weapons, hard sparring and as I have said before, a caring isntructor who treats you like a dog when you are working out. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Try a dojang that has a Hapkido/Kumdo connection. Quite a few BB's in these arts hold a BB in one or both of the other two.

Re: Thinking of taking up Tae Kwon Do - 05/28/04 07:55 AM

I have to say go for it. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] I have started in twd 5 months ago I'm 51 and I enjoyed every bit of it.Most of my traing has been in grapping arts but twd is a good way to get in shape. My oldest son was overweight to the point to where he became dibietic,when the doctor told him to start exertising. He chose twd to do that with. He lives in boston now and trains on a regluar basis. He has lost alot of weight and is in good shape now.If twd is the M.A. that you want to follow then I think you will have alot of fun learning get you some sparring gear and enjoy. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Thinking of taking up Tae Kwon Do - 05/28/04 08:32 AM

Thanks for the positive replies. I've got a week of school at the moment so I may phone a few places to find out prices and get more details. I'll let you know how it goes [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG].
Posted by: shanghaivixen

Re: Thinking of taking up Tae Kwon Do - 06/20/04 08:42 PM

TKD (and other MAs) are great fun and very physical, but not the greatest exercise. Like any activity, it burns calories, but not intensely so. The main physical advantages are the stretching and the improvement of mind-body physical control. Both things, however, that could be better accomplished with Yoga.

Both the instructors and the senior students at the three places I've studied have been either flabby or wiry, no nice bodies to be found. MA doesn't seem to work well for "body sculpting", ie losing weight building muscle to look good. It of course makes you more fit, but if fitness/attractiveness is your goal, join a gym and lift weights. If you have time, best to do both: MA and a weight/cardio regime.

But MA is a lot more fun, social and useful than going to a gym. Less results body-wise, but easier to stick with, which is the important thing
Posted by: Uriel

Re: Thinking of taking up Tae Kwon Do - 06/20/04 09:01 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shanghaivixen:
TKD (and other MAs) are great fun and very physical, but not the greatest exercise. Like any activity, it burns calories, but not intensely so. The main physical advantages are the stretching and the improvement of mind-body physical control. Both things, however, that could be better accomplished with Yoga.

Both the instructors and the senior students at the three places I've studied have been either flabby or wiry, no nice bodies to be found. MA doesn't seem to work well for "body sculpting", ie losing weight building muscle to look good. It of course makes you more fit, but if fitness/attractiveness is your goal, join a gym and lift weights. If you have time, best to do both: MA and a weight/cardio regime.

But MA is a lot more fun, social and useful than going to a gym. Less results body-wise, but easier to stick with, which is the important thing
[/QUOTE]

Hold up here now. Not all MA is sitting on your ass training. In the program I used to be in people would take it to lose weight and tone up.

In a 3-4 month period the results would beat any diet pill out there.

Main thing is man, have fun. You are only as pushed as you push yourself.

Re: Thinking of taking up Tae Kwon Do - 07/05/04 04:08 PM

first, make up your mind on what you want from martial arts, and then pick a school after doing so. Do you want to practice sport or self defense. For self-defense, Tae kwon do may of may not be good. Most TKD today is for sport, so be sure that you discuss that with any would be instructor first, cause there are some good combative TKD schools out there, they are just few and far between. Also, ask about monthly payments, testing fees, how much a uniform is, and if you have to get all equipment from them (pads and such), is there a CONTRACT? All of these are very important questions to ask. Many schools are places of business, thus you must realize that there may be some catches, so don't be afraid to ask questions. If the monthly is more than $30-40 monthly and uniforms are over $40, ya may wanna keep looking.