What do you do at your TKD school

Posted by: Sir5cEntss

What do you do at your TKD school - 05/27/04 01:54 AM

i'm new here, and it seems kinda cool that i can actually talk to people that, you know, actually understand what i'm saying when i jabber off about the martial arts...ANYWAYS, i've been with my school in southern california (Oriental Moo-do School, anybody?) for close to 6 years now, and i'm just wondering what you guyslearn at their schools, and what you guys do, in general...for example, students at my school learn judo, hapkido, wrestling, and street-fighting in conjuction with our regular taekwondo stuff. we spar, with or without equipment, work out, and work on kicks, punches, and other techniques.
It's just that i thought it'd be interesting to compare taekwondo schools since they are so common throughout the world.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What do you do at your TKD school - 05/28/04 08:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sir5cEntss:
i'm new here, and it seems kinda cool that i can actually talk to people that, you know, actually understand what i'm saying when i jabber off about the martial arts...ANYWAYS, i've been with my school in southern california (Oriental Moo-do School, anybody?) for close to 6 years now, and i'm just wondering what you guyslearn at their schools, and what you guys do, in general...for example, students at my school learn judo, hapkido, wrestling, and street-fighting in conjuction with our regular taekwondo stuff. we spar, with or without equipment, work out, and work on kicks, punches, and other techniques.
It's just that i thought it'd be interesting to compare taekwondo schools since they are so common throughout the world.
[/QUOTE]

Well I'm from 'Down Under'. Yes ... I'm an Aussie. I train under the Universal Tae Kwon Do Academy and think it's great. We basically do fairly standard Tae Kwon Do sort of stuff; sparring without equipment (half contact generally though with some full contact within the higher ranks), basic TKD kicks, punches, patterns and basic movements. We also do some advanced stretching and muscular endurance excersises, as well as some basic forms of meditation and focussing excersises. We learn break falling and different forms of five-point and one-step sparring. From blue belt (fifth rank) up we are permitted to learn to use weapons though training is still mainly focussed on unarmed fighting. We learn alot about street fighting including forms of intimidation, holds, pressure points and of course effective tactics.
Umm I think that's about it. I could go into more detail but I think I've rambled enough. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]. I'm new to this site as well. I'm eager to learn about differences between Australian and American Tae Kwon Do.
Regards,
Kat
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What do you do at your TKD school - 06/14/04 11:00 PM

I attend Oriental Moo-do school in Cerritos California. Where do you attend?