stretching for TKD

Posted by: Anonymous

stretching for TKD - 05/18/04 04:14 PM

I have just re-started studying Tae Kwon Do after an 8 year break. My instructor has let me start where I left off (green belt) until I can physically get back in shape.
My greatest problem has always been my hips.
I realize that it will take a while, but I really want to focus on stretching correctly. Most TKD kicks are thrown from the hip, so I really want to know the most effective way to work on it.

Re: stretching for TKD - 05/28/04 11:45 PM

Well I could write pages on how to stretch properly with good results.
When I was a junior belt (now a second dan black belt) I focussed a lot on improving my flexibility knowing that it would certainly help in my MA training. I read a book which my instructor gave to me and found it a great help. Since that was a while ago I think that the best help I could give you would be a book called 'Stretching Scientifically' by Thomas Kurz M.Sc. I live in Australia so I don't know whether or not you would be able to get this book. If you feel that you cannot get it I would be happy to write up some useful things for you. LOL I'm out with an injury so I have plenty of time.
Regards and good luck with your search.

Re: stretching for TKD - 05/29/04 07:33 AM

Thanks sunsetdragon for the confirmation on the book by Kurtz.
It is available here, and as I have looked further on this site, I have discovered that it is a very popular book.
My instructor also recomemded that book. He also reminded me that "time" is a big factor for regaining flexability. I'm just so excited to be doing tae kwon do again, that I'm a bit impatient.Thanks again.

Re: stretching for TKD - 05/31/04 10:33 AM

Another concern that I did not mention before, is that I am 40, and want to make sure that I don't injur myself by stretching wrong. Are there any precautions as far as stretching that I need to be aware of for someone my age getting back into TKD?

Re: stretching for TKD - 05/31/04 04:34 PM

Before class, do some basic stretches like touching your toes, basic kicks, etc. After class do the serious stetching. Take it slowly thought, but go farther every time to improve on flexabitity.

Re: stretching for TKD - 05/31/04 04:40 PM

Thanks TKD Time,
Stretching "after" a workout is a new concept for me. I will give it a try.
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: stretching for TKD - 06/08/04 04:55 AM

Hello tkdpastor

I too am 40. 2 Years ago, I made a “New Years Resolution” to be able to do the Box-Splits before the year was out. So every other day, when the family were asleep, I would sit on the floor, watching TV with my legs splayed out as far as they would go. I would then push my cup of tea gently further forward, whilst continuing to look at the TV. (That way I was sure that I was bending from the Hips and not curving my back). When I got on the verge of uncomfortably, I would relax and stay in that position for 40 seconds and just watch TV. This would be repeated 3-4 times. Then, I would attempt the Box-Splits, whilst standing up for a few reps, interspersed with butterfly stretches. I found the results were initially very promising and that watching TV, helped me to relax into my stretch more. After 3 months, I was approximately 18cm from touching the floor fully and my stretching seemed to plateau. To counter this, I then used to build a pile of Large Hard-Backed Books on the floor and attempt to sit on them whilst doing the splits. When I was able to sit on the pile, then I would remove 1 book from the pile the next week, etc. In this way I could measure my improvements in a more tangible manner. All in all, it took me 5-6 months to be able to stretch fully into a full box splits.

OK. It may sound a bit of an eccentric way to do the splits, but I think the combination of relaxing and sensibly “listening to your muscles” and REPETITION were major factors in achieving this.

Hope this helps.
Posted by: TKD_USA

Re: stretching for TKD - 06/08/04 07:21 PM

Always strecth after you warmup for 5-10 min

Re: stretching for TKD - 06/19/04 07:14 AM

Read "Stretching Scientifically" by Thomas Kurz.

It is THE best resource I've ever come across for stretching and flexibility.

Re: stretching for TKD - 04/06/05 05:12 PM

lol, im 39 and same after Knee Ops, and time Off ,im Back into training. I Had the stretching scientifically book but it was Borrrowed ages ago and Never Returned, and looking for it, the basic 3 move lower body Routine at least i remember, do that now each morn Plus the Usual Lower stretches,but age and no training due to ops has taken its Toll,so i can't get down as Far in My Stretch, but Its Improving each Day.. as well as Before and After class stretching, do it every day ,, You will see Improvements

Griffy, Im gonna try your way as well, thanks

Re: stretching for TKD - 04/06/05 07:22 PM

well, the one advice i can give on Stretching is:

**dont jerk backwards and forth while stretching**

from a scientific point of view, that "back and forth" movement isnt good for your muscles.

Instead, just hold the stretch down for a period of time.

Re: stretching for TKD - 04/07/05 06:50 PM

Think of your stretching as a muscle building exercise and approach it as such. your aim is to build longer muscle fibers rather than more bulky ones. Strength is still an important factor so you should work the muscles under resistance. Do this through your full range of motion.