Re-Joining Tae Kwando I have Questions

Posted by: Anonymous

Re-Joining Tae Kwando I have Questions - 05/16/04 12:21 PM

its been seven years since I did tae kwando and I had a blue belt with three stripes and i want to go back into tae kwando but I wanna go back in as a blue belt with three stripes but I dont know if theyd let me, I have the complete manual of master choi (i got it when i signed up seven or eight years ago) and it teaches all the grappling and forms so i could re vamp my memory and learn the forms and try ot remember how to do them, then when i go back in maybe i can test blue belt so i dont have to start at white again? help please!
Posted by: badmamajama

Re: Re-Joining Tae Kwando I have Questions - 05/16/04 12:28 PM

Instructer, may allow you to keep rank
but may insist you train extended period before testing again.
If you train hard at home get sqared away
go in kick but take names you'll be noticed
trust me .... but be respectful, and patient
after all you chose to leave, sometimes we
pay a price for past decisions.
best of luck [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/cool.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Re-Joining Tae Kwando I have Questions - 05/16/04 12:55 PM

Most schools will allow you to keep your rank even if it's not in there system, but not always. Leaving a system for a while and returning you should be able to keep your rank. More than likely you will start to remember everything within a few months. It will just take a little time to get it all back into muscle memory and take a bit longer before you can test for your next rank.
Posted by: Uriel

Re: Re-Joining Tae Kwando I have Questions - 05/16/04 02:20 PM

Agreed. Most schools would/should allow you to keep your rank. There will probably be a longer testing period though to make sure you got the "new" system down and remember the "old".

Now I do recall a guy that had his 1st dan many years ago restart up again in the MA. He insisted on restarting from a whitebelt. Each their own.

Re: Re-Joining Tae Kwando I have Questions - 05/16/04 02:30 PM

A lot of times it depends on if it's the same type of system or something totally different. If your going from tae kwon do to shotokan then there is no reason not to keep your rank and just have a probation period till you adjust. If your going from goju ruy or any of the other arts like it to bujinkan or aikido then you should start over at white belt because of the greatness in differences. Some will still allow you to keep your rank though. You will just stay the same rank till you have progressed through the ranks as any student.

Re: Re-Joining Tae Kwando I have Questions - 05/16/04 02:58 PM

Thanks alot guys, I think ill practice my forms and moves, then go back in as blue, appreiated!

Re: Re-Joining Tae Kwando I have Questions - 05/16/04 09:37 PM

One last thing you might want to keep in mind since it's been so long, don't get discouraged. This may be a little different with you for a while. The is sometimes a problem with people who get out for a few years then come back. They have a vision of what they used to be like in the dojo, then when they get back things are a little harder than they remember or there kicks or forms aren't what they used to be. Something that used to be effortless now takes more work. Just keep in mind it will all come back. You may even be better by going over the basics again with a little knowledge under your belt. It gives you a new view on things. Good luck.
Posted by: pitfighter

Re: Re-Joining Tae Kwando I have Questions - 05/17/04 09:30 PM

I dunno where you guys practice, but I have gone from shotokan brown to Kempo white(had to start over) back to shotokan brown (different shotokan instructor) then to TKD white.

I never argue tho b/c I don't pay to take classes, but I been a white belt at 3 different places. Kinda sucks. But I'd rather have a white belt than any other belt less than brown right now.

Re: Re-Joining Tae Kwando I have Questions - 05/17/04 10:56 PM

Depending on what kind of kempo you are taking there is good reason for going back to white. Are the kata different? I'm pretty sure they are. It's also the personal preference of the instructor. Even when you find a school that will let you keep your rank even though the system is totally different you are still basically going back to white, you just get to stand at the front of the class. Regardless you still have to learn everything over again the way they do it. It just might not take you as long as someone first starting.

Re: Re-Joining Tae Kwando I have Questions - 05/19/04 09:59 PM

what is the signifigance of the three stripes? I am involved in Tae Kwon Do and I know every dojo is different as far as ranking. Just curious. [QUOTE]Originally posted by Zeus:
its been seven years since I did tae kwando and I had a blue belt with three stripes and i want to go back into tae kwando but I wanna go back in as a blue belt with three stripes but I dont know if theyd let me, I have the complete manual of master choi (i got it when i signed up seven or eight years ago) and it teaches all the grappling and forms so i could re vamp my memory and learn the forms and try ot remember how to do them, then when i go back in maybe i can test blue belt so i dont have to start at white again? help please![/QUOTE]

Re: Re-Joining Tae Kwando I have Questions - 05/19/04 11:38 PM

Some schools instead of using 10 different colored belts will use 4 or 5 colors and use a strip system on certain colors to identify a different rank within that color.