Unaffiliated schools

Posted by: tkd_fighter316

Unaffiliated schools - 05/06/04 05:11 PM

Hey Guys, im currently going for my blue belt in about a weeks time, my instructors are both ITF certified II and IV degrees, which is the safer things tehse days

but my club doesnt affiliate, we practice ITF taekwondo, we were teh dobok of a certain organisation, but we are seen as an independant school!

what i want to know is- due to the large and ever increasing number of either Mcdojangs or WTF style schools in the USA.... Is it hard to find an unaffiliated ITF school nowadays, cos as far as i can see the only 2 organisations in the US that do ITF are the USTF (GM C.E. Serref-IX Dan) and KATU (GM K.S.Hwang-IX Dan)

are there any other ITF schools in the US and if so can anybody give me a listing on the internet where i can find them
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Unaffiliated schools - 05/07/04 01:47 PM

I am currently attending Hwangs Martial Arts. I don't know what type our school is affiliated with whether it be ITF or otherwise. Can you help me?

Re: Unaffiliated schools - 05/07/04 09:06 PM

Jungs Tae Kwon Do Academy in Iowa teaches both ITF and WTF styles. Midwest Academy in iowa/ minnesota and Alliance of indepentent tae kwon do schools in iowa teach ITF.

To tell if you are studying itf or wtf. The fors you study are the big diffrence, Itf starts with Chon Ji and Dan gun, while WTF has the pawlge forms
Posted by: tkd_fighter316

Re: Unaffiliated schools - 05/08/04 07:36 AM

Thanks ftbrbelt, ive been looking everywhere

as for Hwangs martial arts, it never said specifically what it does on their website, but judging by the fact that they make references to the kukkiwon in Seoul Korea, then i guess u guys do WTF- the olympic style, ITF is originally based for self defence as created by the founder General Choi hon Hi-IX dan, ITF still does a lot of kicking but when we spar we are allowed straight punches to the face and sometimes are allowed hooks into the midsection if your opponent gets close! also we are semi contact where as WTF black belts are full contact! they achieve victory by knock out!

both styles are good however and if you are taking WTF taekwondo u may wish to consider taking Hapkido for self defense!

Re: Unaffiliated schools - 05/09/04 06:02 PM

I have actually trained in both ITF and WTF. I was a month from testing for black belt in iTF (Gen Choi's ),lbut due to some diffrences in philospohy left the school and am now a green belt in a school where they teach both ie when you test for rank promotion you are required to do both ITF and WTF forms. It is interesting though that the head instructor of the school was one of Gen choi's compatriats and worked with him when the gen. was teaching Tae Kwon Do to the korean troops before gen Choi came to canada. Some of the higher black belts even have dobaks signed by the gen.