australian taekwondo

Posted by: FitZ

australian taekwondo - 05/03/04 04:49 AM

Hi i am just wondering if there is any one here who is a local to the brisbane area in queensland australia. if there are any my question is have you heard of moon lee taekwondo. I had never heard of the term McDojo before veiwing some posts here. Just wondering if any one has trained with this school and if they are effective in becoming a skilled fighter, or as you say a black belt factory.
Thanks!
Posted by: TKD_Brazil

Re: australian taekwondo - 05/03/04 08:33 AM

hey brow

im not from aussie, but last year i did exchange to australia... it was pretty good and i want to go back in december.

i did taekwondo when i was in australia but didnt like it, actually i hated it.
they were crappy fighters and very easy to beat. i did taekwondo in a club in Beenleigh... u know?
i forgot the name of the club nao.
i left after 2 months in those classes, so i stayed stop for the rest of the exchange (10 more months).
i stayed in gold coast, surfers paradise. when i go back to australia in december i want to find a good place to train in gold coast... could u tell me anywhere?
maybe in brisbane would be good as well.

ps 1 : whats your belt?
ps 2 : i dont know either what MCdojo is... if somebody could explain to me... on a easyly way, considering that english isnt my firts language.
Posted by: Uriel

Re: australian taekwondo - 05/03/04 10:17 AM

McDojo=a dojo that gives a blackbelt for money and not a lot of talent.
Posted by: badmamajama

Re: australian taekwondo - 05/03/04 06:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Uriel:
McDojo=a dojo that gives a blackbelt for money and not a lot of talent.[/QUOTE]

correction sir.... without out a lot of
mctalent [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Uriel

Re: australian taekwondo - 05/03/04 07:43 PM

Yeah I knew what I typed looked weird for some reason. Think all the Mc talk made me hungry [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: australian taekwondo - 05/03/04 09:06 PM

First sign of a mcdojo is the instructor has bright orange hair, a big red nose, and wears big floppy yellow shoes. He promises you a black belt in 18 mo.'s, wants you to sign a 1 year contract and classes are taught by the 13 year old 5th degree master.

Also, after testing they ask if you would like fries and a coke with your belt. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: australian taekwondo - 11/12/04 02:02 AM

g'day

i currently train in the ipswich moon lee taekwondo club, i've been doing it for over 7 years.

Some say that students of moon lee taekwondo are weak, but let me assure you, there are people like that in EVERY taekwondo or martial arts club lol.

you cant just judge a whole organisation based on the flaws of one particular class, so please refrain from commenting on a club in that way.

anyway, i have found moon lee to be a top rate class. I aint exactly a big built guy, im rather thin and scrawny, but because i've been doing taekwondo with moon lee, i have been able to fend of people that, if i hadnt been doing ML taekwondo, i'd surely be stuffed.

basically, the cub itself doesnt determine the students being good or weak, you cant go into a top notch club and expect that you'll do better because of it, if you want to be good, you got to put in all you've got.

Re: australian taekwondo - 11/13/04 11:53 AM

I've never been to Oz, but always wanted to. as far as reccommending a TKD school in the Brisbane area, maybe try Russell McArthurs Jidokwan school. Theyr'e at: http://www.macarthurtaekwondo.com. I mention him because he is under the same Grandmaster as I am (GM Sung Soo Lee) who is based in Sydney. He usually visits the UK every couple of years or so, and I have attended his TKD & HKD seminars (he's a GM in both arts – Kukikwan for TKD & KHF for HKD). All I can say is if GM Lee endorses him, I'd say his definately worth checking out. His website looks nice & they seem to have a good philosophy. Although they subscribe to the Olympic style of competition rules (not my personal favourite, but whatever), their Hapkido looks good so that fills in the gaps the WTF stlye leaves.

Anyway, my master is flying over this weekend for a couple of weeks training with Master Lee and is planning on visiting as many dojangs as he can (including master McArthur's) then off to Korea for a week to train with various TKD & HKD masters, so when he gets back, I expect I will be in a slightly better position to comment (based on HIS experiences!)

Re: australian taekwondo - 11/13/04 01:44 PM

That link might not work, try this one: http://www.macarthurtaekwondo.com/pages/rmchome.html

Re: australian taekwondo - 11/21/04 12:46 AM

Taekwondobob, I don't think anyone has implied that Moon Lee Tkd was weak but were discussing the blossoming growth of McDojo's around. The initial post was asking about Moon Lee in Brisbane and as yet no one has replied to it in particular. If you have been with the club 7 years perhaps we have met at a camp or gradings. I try to get done to brisbane as often as time an money permit.

As for the Moon Lee Tkd organisation, it is a group of instructors under master Moon Hwan Lee. Most of the instructors are hard working and give a lot of time for the club. The standard of tkd was very high but has been dropping of over the last 10 years or so. Still on of the better clubs in Australia for learning practical tkd skills.

Mark