How long does it take too geta black belt?

Posted by: Alex89

How long does it take too geta black belt? - 04/28/04 04:09 PM

How long does it take to geta black belt in TKD, because my teacher started when he was 6years old, now he is 22 years old, and he had black belt 3 dan.So how long does it really take?

Re: How long does it take too geta black belt? - 04/28/04 04:30 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alex89:
How long does it take to geta black belt in TKD, because my teacher started when he was 6years old, now he is 22 years old, and he has a black belt 3 dan.So how long does it really take?[/QUOTE]
Posted by: taekwondosamurai

Re: How long does it take too geta black belt? - 04/28/04 04:52 PM

In different organizations it takes different amounts of time. But in most independant schools it takes longer.
Posted by: Uriel

Re: How long does it take too geta black belt? - 04/28/04 05:12 PM

in wtf traditionally (i think they changed it by a year now) 1st dan to 2nd took 2 years. 2nd to 3rd took 3 years. so on and so forth.

my first dan took about 8 years to get.
Posted by: Drivr

Re: How long does it take too geta black belt? - 04/28/04 05:31 PM

Alex the post above has it right. It really depends on the school. I have been practicing for 2 years, 3+ classes a week and am taking my red belt test tomorrow. I do not expect to test for black for at least 2 more years.
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: How long does it take too geta black belt? - 04/28/04 05:48 PM

I think a better question to ask yourself would be:

"How long will it take for me to be proficient enough to *DESERVE* to wear a black belt"

I'm reluctant to put an exact time frame on something like that. Take two people, give them the same type of training, and the same amount, and you will always have two different skill levels in the end.

As a young, impressionable kid in martial arts, I was always had the idea that a black belt took a lifetime to attain; the reality of it nowadays with McDojangs and Mcdojos seems to make it all too common and easy to achieve.

My advice: Don't worry about how long it takes to get there, but be concerned with what you are learning along the way.

Re: How long does it take too geta black belt? - 04/28/04 05:59 PM

Thanks! Well i am in TKD ITF.
Posted by: ipscshooter

Re: How long does it take too geta black belt? - 04/29/04 10:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alex89:
Thanks! Well i am in TKD ITF.[/QUOTE]

Alex: I train at an unaffiliated school that teaches ITF-style TKD. Our instructor is a 6th Dan trained under Grandmaster Van Binh (who heads ITF's Masters Promotion Committee). I began training in January 1999, along with my two sons (one of whom was already a green belt through a local McDojo). We all tested for black belt together in December, 2002, so that was just a little short of 4 years. We probably averaged 3 to 4 classes per week. One of my sons didn't complete a required break during the test, so he failed the exam, but re-tested in August 2003 and passed. We were told that it generally takes a minimum two years to go from 1st Dan to 2nd Dan. Frankly, I don't see myself being ready/deserving until after at least December 2005.

Re: How long does it take too geta black belt? - 05/01/04 01:03 PM

Thanks for all of your reply's