Explosive and Speedy Punching

Posted by: applegm

Explosive and Speedy Punching - 12/20/03 06:18 AM

Is there a method to get explosive punching without training with punchbags or any other equipment?

Thanks,
Posted by: badmamajama

Re: Explosive and Speedy Punching - 12/20/03 02:39 PM

need heavy bag, if you dont have heavy bag use old mattress,but you need object to hit,so you can feel power when you twist hip and leg in to punch,you need something to obsorb the impact, hitting air might make you quicker,but gives no way to guage progress,also full contact sparring when you ready is tremendous help.
Posted by: kiwi

Re: Explosive and Speedy Punching - 12/20/03 06:49 PM

Shadow boxing is a great way to go over combinations and develope hand speed. However unless you actually are hitting something it wont give you explosive power.

Punching bags are great, you can tell whether the punch you just threw was a good one or not, by the impact you feel on your hand, the bags movement and the sound.
Posted by: cwaterhound

Re: Explosive and Speedy Punching - 01/01/04 08:51 PM

if you want to hit harder you can use a technique called makiwara punching which is where you would punch a imobile object that will not give this will devlope the hand so it would be more sutable for your techinique. you could also do pushups on your kuncles
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Explosive and Speedy Punching - 01/02/04 11:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cwaterhound:
if you want to hit harder you can use a technique called makiwara punching which is where you would punch a imobile object that will not give this will devlope the hand so it would be more sutable for your techinique. you could also do pushups on your kuncles[/QUOTE]

Actually a makiwara should not be immobile. It should give. The purpose of it is to strengthen the muscles in the arm, the wrist, and condition the hand for the impact of a strike. If you punch an immobile makiwara you will do more harm than good. When karate left okinawa people misinterpretted this form of karate training and believed the stiffer the better, this however is not correct. The punch should penetrate, if you punch an immobile object you will not learn to penetrate, you will only learn to stop your punches on impact. Your punches may have a great impact, but they will have no penetration. This is the difference between external damage and internal damage. The latter is what you should strive for.
Posted by: cwaterhound

Re: Explosive and Speedy Punching - 01/04/04 08:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by medulanet:
Actually a makiwara should not be immobile. It should give. The purpose of it is to strengthen the muscles in the arm, the wrist, and condition the hand for the impact of a strike. If you punch an immobile makiwara you will do more harm than good. When karate left okinawa people misinterpretted this form of karate training and believed the stiffer the better, this however is not correct. The punch should penetrate, if you punch an immobile object you will not learn to penetrate, you will only learn to stop your punches on impact. Your punches may have a great impact, but they will have no penetration. This is the difference between external damage and internal damage. The latter is what you should strive for.

[/QUOTE]

thank you for correcting me and telling me i was slightly off. i will usually be one of the first ones to admit that i am wrong. thank youu for correcting the way i was thinking
Posted by: Tkdstreetfighter88

Re: Explosive and Speedy Punching - 01/10/04 07:39 PM

Well practicing on a heavy bag is pretty important for getting power but there are a few other ways.

1. Alot of knuckle pushups

2. weight training
not just your pecs and shoulders but you entire body, at least a total of 30 reps per excercise, 2 excercises per big muscle groups(chest,back,quads, and shoulders)
1 excercise per samll group(triseps,biceps, and calves:total of sixty reps for calves and abs)
its important that the whole body be trained and work as one for powerful punches, kicks, blocks,ect.
now you must ether do 30 reps by 3 sets of 10
or 2 sets of 15,
also dont forget to train your abs 3 out of every 5 days at least, abs are very important to having powerful blows. Also do your one rep bench press when you work the pecs get that explosiveness in your chest and shoulders.

3. practice your forms everyday best practice you can do really.

4. You need a bag, the heavier the better and you have to work ob it everyday
its important, your missing out on some good training if you dont.