Fakes/feints in sparring.

Posted by: Big Bear

Fakes/feints in sparring. - 12/12/03 06:15 AM

Ok we all know that everyone hates TKD and that is is a crap, unrealistic Martial Art. But for those of us that do study it i was wondering about feints in sparring.

You know, when you raise your right knee (leading your opponent to think you are about to deliver a side kick/turning kick) and then you jump in with a flying left hook. I have found that this works on most sparring partners and was hoping that we could collate a heap of these that i could try out on my next sparrin partner.
Posted by: kiwi

Re: Fakes/feints in sparring. - 12/12/03 02:48 PM

Snap kick turning kick (not reall a feint however the snap kcik is not in there to score). You throw the snap kick (which should bring some sort of low block), you then flick your hips roung (bringing the leg round the block) and perfor a turning kick.

I often throw a nice high or axe kick however I dont extend the leg when I reach the top I allow my foot to travel to about mid section and then I extend the leg and push my body forward (axe kick, to a push kick).

Another one similar to what you posted is to move in and cock yuo leg as if your about to throw a kcik (this serves two purposes, it makes your opponent think your goiing to kick, and the leg being cocked protects your midsection), then follow it up with a flurry of punches.

I'll post some ore later.
Posted by: elleTKD

Re: Fakes/feints in sparring. - 12/12/03 03:23 PM

My favorite feints:

1.) The axe kick kiwi described.

2.) Go up for a roundhouse to the head but bring it around quickly into a hook kick.

3.)Turn for a turningback kick, but switch up and pull a roundhouse.

I also like to move in close to my opponet when i can tell they are going to use a roundhouse. Its actually pretty difficult; you have to move in at the perfect time or they back out. If you can pull it off, usually the person is suprised you moved in and their kick is pretty much useless.
Posted by: badmamajama

Re: Fakes/feints in sparring. - 12/12/03 06:22 PM

try this bear,start in left lead stance,as you snap out left jab,switch feet at same time,jab is just to draw his attention to your jab and not your feet,now your left leg is in rear,fire round house to ribs,now practice this till comfortable, at first will seem hard to fire jab at same time you do tiny hop to switch feet ,but when you get it down pat i promise you it will work,ill send you 5lbs of coffee if you try what i say and it dont work,important though practice alone till you got it down pat,other wise youll look silly,once you get it down pat,others will want to try it,ive pulled this on guys who have seen me do it and still wham the bad one does it again ,proving once more im not just another pretty face .
Posted by: badmamajama

Re: Fakes/feints in sparring. - 12/12/03 07:51 PM

btw bear,i train almost exclusively full contact,so dont know if it will be same if your just point sparring,but either way let me know.
Posted by: Big Bear

Re: Fakes/feints in sparring. - 12/12/03 08:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by badmamajama:
btw bear,i train almost exclusively full contact,so dont know if it will be same if your just point sparring,but either way let me know.[/QUOTE]

I will mate but give me a few weeks to get it sorted.

I train in tkd and jkd so 'm sure i'll fit it in somewhere.

Kiwi, and Elle, thanks for the replies also.

The info is always good.
Posted by: pyro52356

Re: Fakes/feints in sparring. - 03/06/04 05:33 PM

if you are point sparring and your stances are open to one another (chests facing the same way) then start to switch leads but switch back so if they switch leads they are open to a round kick
some places it is illegal to throw a punch to the head in point sparring so do a high block and then either punch the chest with the opposite hand or with the hand you did the block w/ cause they will most likely instictivle block what they think is coming at their face
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: Fakes/feints in sparring. - 03/09/04 10:20 AM

(Appologies if this gets there twice, Server Errors).

Hi.

Here's one that I enjoy doing as an entry technique:

Left Stance, gently hunched shoulders.
1. Project, Fast Lead Left High Roundhouse.
2. Step the Left Kicking leg down and perform a Right Spinning Hook Kick / Roundhouse Combination.

If they are quick enough and step back out of range of kick (1), then they are usually on their back foot and therefore slightly more static. Now, by stepping closer and spinning as in (2), they should be well in range for the double kicks. (And then for whatever you instinctively want to do after that). Usually, I find that if I haven’t already connected with Kick (1), then I have missed by a few millimetres and my opponent has snapped his head back and broken his centre of balance. (And is now fair game).

This is a personal thing, but go on, I will share it with you. (Because that's the kind of guy I am. What goes around, comes around). Why the "gently hunched shoulders"? In a Left Stance. If you look critically in a mirror whilst you perform any lead high Roundhouse/Hook kicks, you will see you shoulders dip slight to the right. (Just before you deliver that kick). But if you adopt a relaxed hunched boxing stance prior to kicking, then there will be minimal telegraphing of your intent (as well as tucking your chin in, for protection).

Hope this brings you as much fun as it does me [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: kiwi

Re: Fakes/feints in sparring. - 03/09/04 10:06 PM

That reminds me of a very similar one. It's basically a stepping back kick. Where you take a step forward and throw a back kick with the back leg. Usually a step in TKD sparring prompts a step back by the other person (because they think you are throwing a kick) you then spin round and throw a back kick. This can be done very quickly. If you want to you can perform the step in mid-air and it turns into a 360 degree back kick.