Some videos

Posted by: kiwi

Some videos - 12/01/03 03:45 AM

Check them out
http://sonkal.taekwondo.cz/videogalerie-en.php?rok=2001

Some descent sparring vids under world champs, and some cool demonstrations.

[This message has been edited by kiwi (edited 12-01-2003).]
Posted by: Big Bear

Re: Some videos - 12/01/03 05:46 AM

Kiwi,

your a legend pal. I asked about 3 months ago for something similar to what you are posting here but no one could help.

I'll get a look at these bad boys later.

thanks again for the link.

Big Bear

[This message has been edited by Big Bear (edited 12-01-2003).]

Re: Some videos - 12/01/03 04:19 PM

I recomend downloading this one first
http://sonkal.taekwondo.cz/download-en.p...-Jan.Mracek.avi

I also recomend John has a look at this to see what ITF point sparring is really like.

This is one's also really good (more technical)
http://sonkal.taekwondo.cz/download-en.p...Pu.Song.Min.avi

Posted by: Colly

Re: Some videos - 12/01/03 08:43 PM

What are you men using to run these clips? My media player won't play it.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Some videos - 12/01/03 10:20 PM

Ok, what is the point of hopping after each other on one leg? Why would you jump up,both feet off the ground while trying to punch someone in the face? Why would you fight with your hands at your waist, especialy if headshots allowed?

Re: Some videos - 12/01/03 10:57 PM

Firstly, that happens once in the first fight (the guy throws a side kcik and the moves forward and feints three times), the rest are simply double kicks while moving forward. This is basically like the start of any fight (in pretty much any system) where the fighters are feeling each other out. In kickboxing they dance about, in Taekwon-Do they throw a few distance making kicks, to test there opponents speed and to get a feel of how they react.

Secondly, under ITF point sparring rules you get two points for a jumping punch to the face (only one point when your feet are grounded). Of course the copunter to jumping punches is simply to burt foward with grounded punches of your own, sending them of balance and hopefully making them go out of the ring or fall over.

Thirdly, high kicks are easier to see coming, they take longer and they are more difficult to perform. The advantage of high kicks is that they can knock your opponent out (middle kicks are usually used to wear your opponet down). In point sparring knocking the person out is not the aim (althoug this sometimes happens accidently), the aim is to score points. It is so easy to get in a quick snap kick, or side kcik to the midsection if a person is not guarding that area. High kicks take time and are easier to avoid. Punches in Taekown-Do almost always follow a kick, hence at kciking distance there is no need to have a boxing guard, punching range in TKD usually last no more then ten seconds, because as soon as you are that close you throw punches like mad (remember you only have to touch, not knock them out, the more punches you throw the higher chance of scoring). At kciking range, because of a Taekown-Doists great ability to counter at this range people are more cautious hence more time is spent with a kciking guard (although a similar amount of kciks and punches are thrown).

by the way colly, it's in windows media player and I think you need the DIVX codec (only get the codec, not the player, I found th eplayer did strange things to my computer).
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Some videos - 12/02/03 07:51 AM

Hi kiwi:
I, like some of the others am having trouble downloading. I'm too old to be a computer buff.

I could only see one of the vids. (the mpeg)

Looked like standard TKD to me.

Jumping around, an emphasis on high kicks, controlled contact, hands held down around the waist or lower, poor punching. That's about what I'd expect.

I don't see anything wrong with it, it's just that you put it forward as, TKD has hard contact. It's the real deal. Etc.

We followed your own links to your ITF site and even they say that contact is not allowed. If I'm in a tournament I don't mind fighting to point, semi, or full contact rules.

What really pisses me off is if the rules state point only, and the first thing my oponent does is go full contact to the face.
Part of the problem is that at that stage the offender is disqualified wheras I would rather he wasn't. Hey, he established the rules with his actions, I want the chance to respond.

JohnL
Posted by: judodoc

Re: Some videos - 12/02/03 10:01 AM

Takes me back to my ITF days.
For what it is worth, at the elite level those guys can really kick, and make it an effective fighting style.
Could only get the mpeg to run however, #%^& computer.

Re: Some videos - 12/02/03 02:06 PM

But yuo can't after watching those videos think that those fights were non contact?
Posted by: yasha hime

Re: Some videos - 12/02/03 03:51 PM

To get these videos working and any other DivX/Xvid files, I recommend the DivX Total Pack. It has most codecs.

Try this site for download:
http://www.quellicheilpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146

Or search for "Divx Total Pack" in Google!

Yasha Hime
Posted by: applegm

Re: Some videos - 12/16/03 04:56 AM

Is this ITF tae-kwon-do?

Re: Some videos - 12/16/03 06:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by applegm:
Is this ITF tae-kwon-do?[/QUOTE]

as far as i am aware it is ITF as WTF wear the body protectors and ITF do not. Hope this helps.

Re: Some videos - 12/16/03 10:57 PM

WTF is only punches to the body, and olympic is only punches to the body however a strike has to have shuddering ipact to score (these are both full contact).

I've spoken to people who have fought in WTF (full contact) and ITF (touch contact) and they say their isn't any difference in the level of contact. Only differnece is ITF allows punches to the face. BTW one of the persons I spoke to is a sixth dan and has copeted at the world champs and several WTF tornaments (meaning he knows what hes talking about .

Re: Some videos - 12/17/03 06:08 AM

Not being allowed to punch to head is daft IMHO.
Posted by: kenshin

Re: Some videos - 02/24/04 01:41 AM

taekwondo is the way of self defence and improve the skill to know the role.