Evolution of TKD

Posted by: mrhubbs

Evolution of TKD - 11/20/03 10:17 AM

I am a high school teacher and a traditional Japanese martial artist. I have a student who is a very accomplished Olympic TKD competitor (junior Olympian). He mentioned to me that his instructor's instructor is S. Henry Cho out of Manhattan.

Now my father/instructor used to go to Cho's dojang in Manhattan in the 60's to work on his kicking techniques and for nostalgia's sake bought a copy of Cho's text "Korean Karate" (or something like that). (He had/has a great deal of respect for Cho's abilities.)

The kicking and punching techniques in this book look VERY Japanese - almost Shotokan like. I wonder if someone could talk me through a bit of the evolution of this system and how TKD came to look so different today. This is not a value judgment but I think Shotokan and TKD kicking look very different these days, particularly the Olympic stylists. Are instructor's like Cho teaching techniques differently nowadays and how did this come to be? Who pioneered such efforts? Are such changes strictly sport oriented?

Thanks for the input?

David
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Evolution of TKD - 11/20/03 12:37 PM

Founders of tkd had belts in shotokan,that is why originaly looked like shotokan.

Like any martial art, the culture practiced in affects it.Karate was okinawan, when it moved over to japan,became japanese-so japanese karate looks different than okinawan.So when japanese style moved over to korea, became korean.

Sorry, can't give specifics-try looking at several tkd sites on net,do google search, etc.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Evolution of TKD - 11/20/03 12:41 PM

www.sos.mtu.edu/husky/tkdhist.htm

interesting take on history of tkd, might be biased.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Evolution of TKD - 11/24/03 01:43 PM

Founders of TKD had advanced ranks in a couple of arts-shotokan, shudokan, etc.

In the early days of the Korean MA movement its was even sometimes called "Kong Soo/Su Do"

That would be Korean for "empty hand way"

Even the early TKD kata were versions of Japanese Karate kate.

The very name Tae Kwon Do only goes back to the mid-late 50s--prior to that it was called a number of names-Kong Su, Su bak, etc.

Early TKD was also seperated into various "kwans" or "school" each group teaching a somewhat different version of the art--Ji Do Kwon--Chung Do Kwan etc.

Arts were eventually (somewhat) unified and (somewhat) standerdized.

Eventually the Olympic TKD movement changed TKD even more
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/16/06 06:07 PM

Here is some stuff you people should know. Maybe you will understand my posts a little better. About techniques being different. kicks, stances, forms, foot work, strategy, philosophy.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/17/06 01:17 AM

Quote:

Eventually the Olympic TKD movement changed TKD even more

You mean before or after Kukki became 'Olympic'?

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/17/06 10:33 AM

Tevek

I mean the "Olympic style" of competiton changed things even more from where TKD was in the 70s/80's.

I'm old enough to remember the days when TKD was trying hard to get everyone on the same page so that they could try and make TKD an Olympic sport.

I can remember my own dojang and the various struggles to conform to the model--some of it was very different than the way we frist trained.

NOT "BETTER" OR "WORSE"---JUST "DIFFERENT."

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/17/06 10:53 AM

I see, interesting.

How did it change it?
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/17/06 11:21 AM

Quote:

Now my father/instructor used to go to Cho's dojang in Manhattan in the 60's to work on his kicking techniques and for nostalgia's sake bought a copy of Cho's text "Korean Karate" (or something like that). (He had/has a great deal of respect for Cho's abilities.)

I have that book! It's a very nice work. Yes, a lot of it does look very like Shotokan Karate, particularly the sidekick. I'm sure VDJ can give us all a lecture

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/17/06 12:44 PM

Trevek

Several of things that stand out.

-Don't recall which kwan he was from, but there was a lot of pressure to stop doing the old kata and only teach the "olympic" style.

At the time, in open tournament, we all competed in the same divsions with Korean verisons of Bassi-dai, etc.
Which looked pretty much like the japanese versions.

Then whole "new" sets of kata were created, then those were replaced by still other poosme.
Specific names I don't recall--but the old kata were phased out then their replacements were also phased out.

-The sparring was changed to fit the olympic model

-The techniques themselves, used to be hard to tell TKD from shotokan or various forms of Shorin, the stances tended to be lower and long, etc, it "looked" and "felt" like japanese karate.

Its also worth pointing out that the older kwans made few bones about where there training came from.
I was also around for major push of TKD being a "2000 year old native korean art."
People had been making that claim since the Kwans merged in the late 50's, but its was not the "offical" story until the late 70's early 80's.

I can remmember the days when no-one was really making that claim, to when it became the "party line" to today when the story is being spun again into a "shared art" kinda thing with China, Japan, Okinawa, and Korea ALL teaching pretty much the same art.

Please understand, I am NOT bagging on TKD, the Japanese did similar things to the Okinawan karate, and the Okinawans adapted their art from various Chinese sources etc.

Could be esily argued that many teachers of "American free style karate" are doing the same today.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/17/06 12:53 PM

These questions are part of my art and close to my heart. Most times they come up I don't contribute. Partly because I type so slowly. I have a better than average knowledge of Martial arts history. That has come over time and I have had to do alot of digging to get even close to the bottom. I have come to a pretty good understanding of who knew what and whom. Who studied under who. Who gave who what rank when and why.
There is layer apon layer and story apon story. Some things rarely get talked about. What it comes down to for me is , things change. I take pleasure in working to understand how individuals, arts and nations get from point A to point B. It is interesting to me to look for cause and effect and see the impact that an individual, community, political administration can have on history.
A short while back I was watching a documentary in Funikoshi. Though technically what I practice is called Tae Kwon do and our instructor was a TKD official at the 88 olympics in Seoul, I move and train in a way that looks very Japanese to most. It took me a while to understand why that is. While understanding all of it the best I can is pleasurable (in the same way a Rubics cube might be for others) it really doesnt matter much. Everyone, (even the old guys) were living life, trying to get by, often under very difficult curcumstances. We, like them are living at a certain point in time facing, different and similar questions and orienting ourselves in history. Lets do what we can to respect the folks that came before us and contributed to the foundations we can safely stand and build on.

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/17/06 02:33 PM

That's interesting, but was this part of the break from ITF chang hon, after the General left Korea, or was it something specifically done with the olympics in mind?

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/17/06 02:44 PM

Honestly don't know.

I could make a case for both, one after the other.

I would guess that things started in the wake of the various kwans mergeing in the late 50/early 60's.

If I had to guess, I would say the Olympic movement was the real driver.

But that is just a guess.

And I make it from both what went down then, and comparing it to what is being done/said/argued/altered etc with karate trying to get become and Olympic sport.

Its like watching a replay of the same arguements, same conjecturs, same rebuttals, same bitterness, same goals and same means I saw back in the late 70's/early 80's with TKD.

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/17/06 09:19 PM

Tim please do not get him started because he really can. History of TKD 101.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/17/06 10:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have that book! It's a very nice work. Yes, a lot of it does look very like Shotokan Karate, particularly the sidekick. I'm sure VDJ can give us all a lecture

I do not do lectures free of charge, only debates !

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/17/06 10:11 PM

Quote:

You must not be a parent.

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/17/06 10:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You must not be a parent.

Wrong ! I have 3 and 2 are twin teenage girls. You do not lecture them only debate them as they know everything and constantly are letting my wife and I know this.

VDJ

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/17/06 10:45 PM

We are living paralelle lives. 3 kids Youngman 17 and 2 YoungLadies 14 and 12. Hopefully your girls (da bon't YaBuse TwaBin Talk taboo Kabeep you in the daBark.

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/18/06 03:46 AM

Mark Twain might be of some comfort...

"When I was 18 my father knew nothing; by the time I was 25 I was amazed at how much more he had learned"
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/18/06 12:50 PM

Quote:

We are living paralelle lives. 3 kids Youngman 17 and 2 YoungLadies 14 and 12. Hopefully your girls (da bon't YaBuse TwaBin Talk taboo Kabeep you in the daBark.

This almost appears to be "pig latin". Or should I say "Isthay almostay appearsay otay ebay igpay atinlay." (or something like that).

Thankfully I was smarter then the two of you and had only 1 child, a daughter who is 13. Now here is a kicker. She used to be in my school for about a year and a half. One of the boys who is 15 and is a junior instructor for the younger kids, the girls all think is a hottie. My daughter told my wife yesterday that she would re-join up if she could grapple with him. I suppose you are experiencing things like this too?

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/18/06 03:58 PM

Dereck,

The youth are the evolution, how is it a highjack?

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/18/06 05:05 PM

Everyone here has kids...I have not yet been able to trick a woman into marrying me. LoL

Then again I am in no rush. I have taught enough kids to know it is all a gamble. I've seen so many different vareity of kids and its funny because I was able to choose the kind of pesonalities I would want. but seeing all the other possibilities I could end up with...the whole idea scares me now. LOL

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/18/06 05:26 PM

Quote:

:-F

Quote:

This almost appears to be "pig latin". Or should I say "Isthay almostay appearsay otay ebay igpay atinlay." (or something like that).

Thankfully I was smarter then the two of you and had only 1 child, a daughter who is 13. Now here is a kicker. She used to be in my school for about a year and a half. One of the boys who is 15 and is a junior instructor for the younger kids, the girls all think is a hottie. My daughter told my wife yesterday that she would re-join up if she could grapple with him. I suppose you are experiencing things like this too?

When it comes to having twins in the first pregnancy, being smart has nothing to do with it, can't control that. The second pregnancy brought us our son (when you have 2 out of the gate number 3 isn't so bad, especially when a woman my Mon knows had 3 prenancies and ended up with twins,triplets,twins.That always makes me feel better). the girls are 15 and the boy is 12. One girl trains as does my son. The girls also cheerlead and the boy swims.

VDJ

P.S. I always like to share this little tidbit (and I am not making it up). I had a math teacher back in high school who had 19 (yes nineteen) kids and not a multiple birth in the crew.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Evolution of TKD - 02/18/06 06:27 PM

Stopping at 1 was just a joke so I hope I didn't offend anybody. My wife would have had more but I had personal issues with the way I was brought up. Issues still apparent in my life. I love kids but due to my upbringing I felt I could only give my love to one child successfully so stopped there. I have never regretted it but I do regret it for my wife's sake. And of course some times I regret it for my daughter not having any siblings to grow up with. I applaud anybody that has more then one child and successfully raises them.