Weak side

Posted by: aek8700

Weak side - 07/15/03 03:38 AM

I'm just returning to Taedwondo after a 5 year break. I have realized how I almost comepletely ignore my right side. I'm left handed and my left side has always been the strongest: stronger punches, better kicking form, stronger kicks, and when I spar, it's almost entirely with my left facing front. Does anyone know of a way to fix this? Maybe some workouts to help me get used to working my right side more? I've been thinking about forcing myself to fight almost entirely with my right side till I get used to it, but I'm not sure that's the right thing to do. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Weak side - 07/15/03 04:52 AM

Don't think more, think even.

I took a guy to the gym once and he started lifting more weight with his one arm than the other, when I asked why he said that the heavier weight was his weaker arm and that he was trying to balance them out (?)

Anyway the moral of this story is keep things even, in what ever you do, if you do 10 kicks of you're left, do 10 on you're right and so on.

The only other piece of advice is that if you go to a gym, lift weights and/or do bodyweight exercises, make sure that they are also even. For example using a bench press machine means that you may use more of your stronger arm to lift the weight leaving your weaker arm trainling behind (in this case therefore use free weights).

When doing all of this make sure your form is good and not sloppy - else you will have equal strength in each side but rubbish technique, which means that you once weaker side is useless anyway!!

Hope this helps.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Weak side - 07/15/03 03:52 PM

Personally I think your idea of training or sparring with your weak side front is a great idea. There are also drills in which you can do stepping kicks alternating legs and so on.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Weak side - 07/15/03 10:59 PM

Chen-he said he fights strong side forward,not weak.

Only suggestion I have besides balance out sides(whatever do on left follow it up with right side)posted above is watch "Rocky",scenes where he ties down his left arm.Tie your left leg and arm up then spar! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: Weak side - 07/16/03 12:01 AM

Yes Neko he did but reread his post and he also said that he was thinking about trying to spar weak side forward to balance himself out. That was what I was referring to.
Posted by: aek8700

Re: Weak side - 07/16/03 07:39 AM

I'm a she, lol...but that's ok, you couldn't have known that! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Weak side - 07/16/03 11:49 AM

Just sparring one side or the other is fine, but as the technique on the weaker side is going to be poor - it may get you in some trouble in sparring.

I suggest taking your basic combinations and bring them up to speed with your stronger side, and occasionnally use your weaker side in sparring and switch.

When you are more confident keep an even split of your weak and strong sides and eventually you shouldn't have a weak or strong side.

Re: Weak side - 07/16/03 12:37 PM

Well its good to know you are a she, although it doesnt pertain to the question at hand, but good to know non the less. Some good points have been touched on. Sparring weak side forward or predominately will hinder you sparring abilities. Try blocking with your strong side forward so that you are defensively prepared and counter and attack with the weak side. Your offense may be slower and weaker to start but if your defense is good enough with your strong hand then it should balance out.