competition

Posted by: smittenkittenTKD

competition - 07/13/03 09:08 PM

who competes in forms on here? whats ur fav? what are your rankings? just curious...

currently i only compete in forms because i dont have a weight class for my belt yet
[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG] .... im holding a State Grand Champion Title...next year i hope to go to nationals...i was wondering if ne of you compete @ a national level and have any tips...
Posted by: JohnL

Re: competition - 07/14/03 07:36 AM

Only when I'm feeling old and past it.

Nijushiho & Kanku sho
Posted by: Karate kid

Re: competition - 07/14/03 08:18 AM

I compete in competitions in aikido...sometimes, and brazilian jujitsu. im a sandan in aikido and a blue belt in brazilian jujitsu.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: competition - 07/14/03 09:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Karate kid:
I compete in competitions in aikido...sometimes, and brazilian jujitsu. im a sandan in aikido and a blue belt in brazilian jujitsu.[/QUOTE]

So you gave yourself the handles of Karate kid?!?!?

Re: competition - 07/14/03 11:44 AM

Aikido is part of japanese karate isnt it? YEP!!! Thought so. I got the name karate kid because of that! I thought you would know that aikido is part of japanese karate!

Re: competition - 07/14/03 05:35 PM

Aikido is part of japanese karate isnt it? YEP!!! Thought so. I got the name karate kid because of that! I thought you would know that aikido is part of japanese karate![/QUOTE]

Not to my knowledge, but I have only studied Shotokan in any great depth - as far as I am aware Aikido is Aikido that was derived from Ju-jitsu and, as far as I know, please correct me if I am wrong but has nothing to do with Karate what so ever. Mainly due to the fact that Aikido was practiced in Japan before Karate even began in Japan.
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: competition - 07/14/03 07:08 PM

not true. karate was introduced in 1922...and aikido wasnt even founded yet if i remember correctly. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: smittenkittenTKD

Re: competition - 07/14/03 07:47 PM

i mean in TKD...thanks tho [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: competition - 07/14/03 08:22 PM

Aikido is a totally seperate art than Karate. Over the past few years however many Karate styles have began implementing Aikido like throws and joint locks, however, they remain seperate arts.

Re: competition - 07/15/03 06:59 AM

o...great! im confused now lol! Is jujitsu part of japanese karate?...Why did we have to bring my name up anyway!

Re: competition - 07/15/03 07:36 AM

o...great! im confused now lol! Is jujitsu part of japanese karate?...Why did we have to bring my name up anyway! [/QUOTE]

OK, lets get this straight:

Karate - is not Japanese originally.

Jujitsu the art forged on the battlefields by the Samauri spawned other Martial Arts i.e. Judo and Aikido.

Karate developed seperately from these arts.

So you as the 'Karate Kid' learning Aikido and BJJ have absolutely no connection.

And your name was bought up because you said you trained in Aikido and BJJ but your handle is Karate Kid.
Posted by: Ender

Re: competition - 07/17/03 07:50 PM

Karate kid you say you have a sandan in aikido?

I am disinclined to believe you, simply because I know how long it takes to gain a sandan in an art, and I'm quite sure your not even old enough to have the required ammount of training to be a sandan (though I may be mistaken).

Also, your misinterpretation of the history of aikido doesnt help your case. If your a sandan and dont know the exact history of your art, you have some serious work to do which should have been done long ago.

Again I ask, how old are you?