Re: How do you do a hook kick a cresent kick and an axe kick?

Posted by: Yoseikan Student

Re: How do you do a hook kick a cresent kick and an axe kick? - 07/07/03 02:41 PM

IMHO

If you intend to block a full powered kick (almost all standard kicks) with your arm - the arm will come of worse. It'll get broken. If I blocked my roundhouse with my outer arm block - the kick would go through the block. (strange imagery!)

Soooo, i'd suggest get out the bloody way - or get close to the source - i.e. the hips. Either in close or out of target area and your face will stay the same shape.

If you must block make it a parry - or a wedge block for the roundhouse stylie kick.

Alec
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Re: How do you do a hook kick a cresent kick and an axe kick? - 07/07/03 02:54 PM

Good advice Alec but I thought the question was how to do them, not how to block them.

For Hapkido dude, these are fairly basic techniques, go to a club and you'll learn them. If that's not possible, surf the web for video info. or books.

JohnL
Posted by: judderman

Re: Re: How do you do a hook kick a cresent kick and an axe kick? - 07/07/03 05:11 PM

Its all in the hips.

For me the round house is easiest.

In left walking stance, lift rear (right) leg, so that it is at right angles to your body, as if you were hurdling.

Then pivot your body round, using your hip/stomach/back muscles, so that your leg continues in an arc, ensuring that the lower leg is still tucked back. When your leg is in line with your target, allow your lower leg to whip round.

You can strike with the instep or ball of the foot.

Reverse the action and return to your original position. (if that's what you want to do)

Once you developed the hip strength and speed, it is quicker to start as if doing a front kick, as the knee comes up, whip your leg in an arc.

The axe kick actuall quite hard.

Swing your leg straight up, how you do this is up to you. I've seen some raise the knee first, then the lower leg, others just keep the leg straight all the way. Its better to swing it up just off square. Once you have reached full hieght, pull it back down as quickly as possible, using the upturned hip to drive backwards, to assist with the speed.

A very powerful kick, that is hard to control well.

Could you describe more what you call a hook kick and cresent kick, as I've seen various variations of these names.

Hope that helped a bit.

Oh and if you ever want to block one of these kicks, YS is spot on. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Budo.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Re: How do you do a hook kick a cresent kick and an axe kick? - 07/07/03 05:36 PM

I cant believe someone is attempting to teach this on here but I guess Ill play along although I highly recommend learning these in person with someone or at least video because it is easy to do these wrong and you can injure yourself not to mention look like a fool. With that said I'll start with crescent kick. You have inside and outside. Nuetral stance, left leg forward, bring you right foot acroos you body to your left bring it up, arc it around towards the right side of your body. Your leg should be directly in front of you on impact to the opponent and should strike with the blade of the foot. Works the same way outside to inside. Hook kick is like crescent kick but reversed Stand with your side to the opponent, take your lead leg, lift and move forward and up then arc it towards your opponent impacting aligned with your body. The striking area is the ball or sole of the foot.
Posted by: smittenkittenTKD

Re: Re: How do you do a hook kick a cresent kick and an axe kick? - 07/07/03 10:04 PM

how can u teach via the internet? i can understand giving hints, but i think we should let the instructor show him! visually is the best way!

Re: Re: How do you do a hook kick a cresent kick and an axe kick? - 07/07/03 11:55 PM

You are absolutely right but out of boredom I thought it would be a challenge to describe these without physically showing someone the motions. However it must be understood that these kicks cant properly be taught through any channel other than actual training by a professional.
Posted by: Karate kid

Re: Re: How do you do a hook kick a cresent kick and an axe kick? - 07/08/03 11:32 AM

I dont see what your problem is smitten kitten!!! You got chen zen to teach you moves and write the names also on boxing combos!!! So dont pull bullshit like it's best for the instructer to show him! He knows what is best for him and nobody else. Think before you write! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Yoseikan Student

Re: Re: How do you do a hook kick a cresent kick and an axe kick? - 07/08/03 12:00 PM

Sorry I'll try reading the question properly next time....(doh!)...
Posted by: judderman

Re: Re: How do you do a hook kick a cresent kick and an axe kick? - 07/08/03 05:05 PM

My apologies. I should have pointed out about being instructed, rather than reading about it.

I don't believe that there is any harm attempting to guide another using this medium, I figured that was the point of this site in general?

No comment Smitten.....

Besides, we don't know the reasoning behind the original question. Was Hapkido Dude asking for guidance or perhaps comparing how each individual is taught how to perform these kicks?

Just a thought.

Budo.

Re: Re: How do you do a hook kick a cresent kick and an axe kick? - 07/09/03 01:45 AM

Im just curious as to what your problem is with Kitten Karate Dude? Only reason I ask is because the past three posts Ive read you slammed her one way or the other. As far as teaching on the internet and the purpose of this site, you cant be taught via the net. Period. But if you get a group of people who are experienced in MA,regardless of style, then it becomes easy to say things like, "I would use this instead of that," or, "If you twist this way you get more snap." If I asked Joe Schmo to describe a proper Bong Sau he would have no Idea what I just said but if a fellow Wing Chun artist heard me he could describe it easily.

Re: Re: How do you do a hook kick a cresent kick and an axe kick? - 07/09/03 04:30 PM

i only asked for help because i know the kicks.... i was asking for tips...thats a lot differnt that learning basics...

i dont understand what you have against me...please elaborate???
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Re: How do you do a hook kick a cresent kick and an axe kick? - 07/09/03 04:53 PM

We didn't have anything against you.
It's just that the question was totally non-specific and an answer could have filled a book.

JohnL

Re: Re: How do you do a hook kick a cresent kick and an axe kick? - 07/09/03 05:35 PM

no karate kid...it seems like every post i make he has to make some rude comment
Posted by: Hapkido Dude

Re: Re: How do you do a hook kick a cresent kick and an axe kick? - 07/12/03 08:13 PM

Well smitten, you have made rude comments on his posts and other posts like MINE!!! Yall are both idiots in my opinion.
Posted by: Hapkido Dude

Re: Re: How do you do a hook kick a cresent kick and an axe kick? - 07/12/03 08:15 PM

Thank you all for helping me out. I have learned the axe kick and cresent kick thanks to SOME of yalls help. To make sure i learned it i went to an instructor and showed him, and he said I knew without him teaching me. I guess you REALLY CAN LEARN ONLINE FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LOVE TO ARGUE ABOUT IT!!!!!!! smitten, hapkido dude is right.