Tae kwon do Blocks/Moves On The Net?

Posted by: Wait4MeKitten

Tae kwon do Blocks/Moves On The Net? - 05/31/03 07:23 PM

Hi everyone, I'm a TKD newbie and trying to learn all the basic moves. I apologize in advance that I don't know all the terminology. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] But basically I'm trying to find a place on the net that has a picture of each of the block moves, the ones that you normally do after the punches while in tiger stance?

I take the classes 3x a week and have a friend that's a black belt but its still hard for me to memorize the moves at my slower pace. I figured if I could see them on the net I could practice at home so the next time I went in to class I wouldn't be such a bumbling dork. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] I've been searching on the net for this but so far haven't found anything with pictures.

Thanks for your help [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Tae kwon do Blocks/Moves On The Net? - 05/31/03 09:16 PM

Attempting to learn martial arts movement from pictures,videos, etc is not a good ideal. They cannot provide the feedback necessary to properly learn the movement.
Attempting to learn from a book,pictures,etc can lead to bad habits that you will have to unlearn.
Don't worry, everyone who practices feels like a bumbling dork at one time or another.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Tae kwon do Blocks/Moves On The Net? - 06/01/03 07:56 AM

To be honest, I think you would be better taking along a pad and paper and after the session quickly jotting down a few notes - in fact do it now, I bet you will be suprised how much you remember!

From doing this you can then go back and ask questions, to make sure your notes are right.

Then practice.

Also I am sure you can remember a few moves, get those perfect and then the next few and then the next few and so on.

Remember it takes doing something correctly 3000 times before it becomes a reflex reaction. So get your technique right on one or two techniques and get going.

Also (last bit) remember the 5 p's.
-Perfect Practice Prevents Poor Performance

Remember that and you will get good in no time!
Posted by: judderman

Re: Tae kwon do Blocks/Moves On The Net? - 06/01/03 10:28 AM

Personnaly I think there is no harm in studying from a reputable book, as long as you use it IN CONJUNCTION WITH your training.

I don't know of any sites, but as far as TKD is concerned, you won't go far wrong with the TKD multi-media Encyclopedia. This features some of the top class practitioners in TKD, under the instruction of the late General Choi.

On the downside, it costs a packet brand new.

Good luck with your search.

Budo.
Posted by: viper aus

Re: Tae kwon do Blocks/Moves On The Net? - 06/04/03 04:39 AM

ok your are a newbie
DONT try and learn it all at once
each lesson pick something you would like get raely good at and practice that move till its right then pick another when you haved mastered a few of these you will find you can work on 2 techniques at a time
perhams a kick and a punch or a stance and kick. try to pick ones that flow together this will then help with your body movement from one move to another. when you have couple join them together. perhaps block - kick and a punch movement. and by theway the only pictures you need are in your head, mental imagary is very important ,watch your instructor and imagine you are doing the movement as you picture it in your head